This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3586 / 55°21'30"N
Longitude: -4.7152 / 4°42'54"W
OS Eastings: 227981
OS Northings: 610528
OS Grid: NS279105
Mapcode National: GBR 46.4DM6
Mapcode Global: WH2Q7.JKWX
Plus Code: 9C7Q975M+CW
Entry Name: West Enoch
Listing Name: West Enoch Farm
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354276
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19861
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Probably circa 1800 incorporating earlier fabric and with later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled farmhouse with single storey and attic courtyard steading to rear. Rendered stone with painted ashlar margins and quoin strips to farmhouse; whitewashed random rubble to steading. Eaves course.
FARMHOUSE: principal (S) elevation with central main doorway and arched window above; single storey wing to left (probably former dairy). Irregular fenestration elsewhere. Lean-to porch to right of rear elevation with single light to left side and timber-boarded door to right side.
W RANGE: single storey, adjoining farmhouse and N range, with dormer hayloft entrance towards N end.
N RANGE: single storey, adjoining W range. 20th century canopy supported by timber pillars to left.
E RANGE: detached. 2-bay basket-arched cartshed to left with prominent keystones and simple block capitals at springing point; stables to right with timber-boarded sliding door and flanking windows; stone forestair to attic at N gable. INTERIOR: open to double-framed roof with tie-beams. Grooved stone floor.
Predominantly 12- and 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Coped, rendered gablehead stacks with buff clay cans. Scottish slate roofs with metal flashings and rooflights. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Remarkably little-altered farmhouse with unusual and distinctive arched central window and a good range of steading buildings to rear. The retention of the original 12-pane fenestration is particularly remarkable, as most Ayrshire farmhouses had their windows replaced with large-pane glazing in the mid or late 19th century. The position of the house, on one side of the courtyard and with its back to it, is a fairly unusual departure from the more common arrangement of the house at the centre of the courtyard and byre ranges stretching in front of it from each side.
The small, deep-set windows on the ground floor suggest that the house incorporates the fabric of a single storey 18th century cottage. Judging from the proportions and style of the upstairs windows, it is likely that the upper storey was added in about 1800. A farm of the same name has been on this location for centuries and was the site of the mortal wounding of the Laird of Bargany by the Earl of Cassillis in December 1601 (Groome).