This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 60.4768 / 60°28'36"N
Longitude: -1.487 / 1°29'13"W
OS Eastings: 428302
OS Northings: 1177124
OS Grid: HU283771
Mapcode National: GBR Q1P1.MC1
Mapcode Global: XHD1J.1X5N
Plus Code: 9CGWFGG7+P6
Entry Name: Northmavine Parish Church And Churchyard, Hillswick
Listing Name: Hillswick, Northmavine Kirk, Including Kirkyard Wall, Gate, and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 13 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354322
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19900
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: Shetland North
Traditional County: Shetland
1733, with alterations 1764, interior recast circa 1825, further rebuilding by Roderick Coyne, 1869. 2-tier, 3 x 3-bay symmetrical gothic hall church with classical interior. Church comprises entrance vestibule and stair hall to S, galleried hall to N, and single storey gabled vestry projecting from W elevation. Harled walls with droved sandstone ashlar margins and details.
S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical with base course. Centre bay; pointed- arched 2-leaf 4-panel timber entrance door in projecting gabled and bracketted surround containing carved shield; blind windows centred above at upper tier and in gablehead; regular fenestration at lower and upper tiers in flanking bays; stone cross at gable apex on corbelled octagonal base.
W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, single storey gabled vestry projecting at lower tier in bay to left comprising window in N elevation and corniced, flat-roofed, porch to S; regular fenestration in other bays.
N (REAR) GABLE: symmetrical, regular fenestration at upper and lower tiers in outer bays, centre bay blank at ground, plaque at upper tier inscribed 'ERECTED 1869', single pointed-arched window centred in gable above, Celtic cross at apex.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical, with regular fenestration.
INTERIOR: symmetrically disposed droved ashlar dog-leg gallery stairs to E and W in entrance vestibule; decorative cast-iron balusters with timber handrails. Hall; timber fittings include vertically-boarded wainscoting and pews; cast-iron columns with decorative brackets supporting panelled U-plan gallery extending full length of E and W walls. Classical panelled timber pulpit, perron stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; fluted pilasters framing back rising to octagonal canopy with finialled ogee dome.
6-pane timber fixed-lights to S and side elevations of hall, border- glazed with patterned glass to N elevation, 6-pane timber sash and case window to vestry. Purple-grey slate roofs to hall and vestry with sandstone ashlar skew copes. Stugged sandstone ashlar wallhead stack centring W elevation, corniced with circular cans.
KIRKYARD WALL: battered harl-pointed rubble wall with rubble cope enclosing church; square rubble gatepiers with droved ashlar pyramidal caps centred on S elevation, decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates.
In ecclesiastical use. The galleried interior was rebuilt circa 1825 to seat 600 people. The semi-octagonal corbel at the south gablehead originally supported a bellcote. This is a large and finely finished church, its rather severe exterior contrasting well with the neighbouring timber hotel.
Other nearby listed buildings