This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.167 / 57°10'1"N
Longitude: -2.1023 / 2°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 393914
OS Northings: 808467
OS Grid: NJ939084
Mapcode National: GBR SBV.WK
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.P440
Plus Code: 9C9V5V8X+R3
Entry Name: Market Cross, Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Old Aberdeen Market Cross, outside Old Town House, High Street, Old Aberdeen
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 11 June 2018
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354443
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20000
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
The only remaining original part of the 16th-century cross is the knop, decorated with four coats of arms including that of Bishop Gavin Dunbar (1518-32) surmounted by the remains of crouching beasts. The shaft was renewed in 1951, and the stepped base is modern.
In 1724 the market cross was described as having an image of the Virgin engraved on the north and south sides of the top of the cross as well as having coats of arms of the kings of Scotland and three Bishops; Dunbar, Stewart and Gordon. The Council of Old Aberdeen sold the cross in 1788-9, but a fragment was discovered in a smithy in Old Aberdeen in 1841. In 1951 this fragment was erected on top of a shaft in front of St Mary's Church, High Street, by the University of Aberdeen. It was transferred back to its current and original location in 1993. Part of its special interest is that it incorporates a significant architectural fragment of the original 16th-century market cross of Old Aberdeen, erected by Bishop Gavin Dunbar (1518-32), whose other building works, including the Greyfriars and the heraldic ceiling in St Machar's cathedral, are still evident in the city.
Statutory Address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'MARKET CROSS OF OLD ABERDEEN, WITHIN FORECOURT OF LECTURE HALL OF GEOGRAPHY DEPARTMENTS, HIGH STREET'.
Other nearby listed buildings