History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brig O' Balgownie over River Don

A Category A Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1772 / 57°10'38"N

Longitude: -2.0987 / 2°5'55"W

OS Eastings: 394129

OS Northings: 809606

OS Grid: NJ941096

Mapcode National: GBR SCC.KK

Mapcode Global: WH9QJ.QVSQ

Entry Name: Brig O' Balgownie over River Don

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354513

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20067

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen

Find accommodation in
Old Aberdeen

Description

Richard Cementarius 1314-18, repaired circa 1444, largely rebuilt early 17th century, repaired William Smith 1861, repaired William Smith and John Willet circa 1877, approaches widened and buttressed 1912. Single span, steeply pitched, pointed arch, ashlar road bridge over River Don, with slightly corbelled parapets and narrow roadway.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with items 392-400 (Aberdeen Burgh). Also part of a separate B-Group with 2-20 Cottown of Balgownie (see separate listing).

The ancient Brig O'Balgownie was the only route into Aberdeen from the north until 1827. It was "Built by Richard Cementarius, the first provost of Aberdeen (also credited with building the keep at Drum, since the arch is said to be identical in profile to the upper vault of Drum Castle)" (Brogden). Costs were covered by the Bridge of Don Fund which also provided some £17,000 in 1827 to pay for the new bridge. In 1981 a plaque, detailing its history, was placed on the bridge.

Formerly listed at category A in Old Machar Parish (HBNum 15669) and in Aberdeen Burgh (HBNum 20067). Listing combined and description revised 2009.

Formerly scheduled (scheduled monument reference number 104). De-scheduled on 16 February 2009.

List description updated 2009.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.