This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1438 / 57°8'37"N
Longitude: -2.0718 / 2°4'18"W
OS Eastings: 395750
OS Northings: 805877
OS Grid: NJ957058
Mapcode National: GBR SH5.PW
Mapcode Global: WH9QR.4PNW
Plus Code: 9C9V4WVH+G7
Entry Name: Mission Hall, North Square, Footdee
Listing Name: Footdee, North Square, Mission Hall
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354997
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20315
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Smith, 1870. Simple single-storey mission hall situated at centre of Footdee's North Square. Coursed, roughly squared and snecked rubble with raised brick dressings and round-arched openings. W elevation: 4 round-arched windows with raised cills and brick voussoirs; above, central circular window. Brick bellcote incorporating chimney at apex. Single-storey lean-to runs length of E elevation. 2-leaf round-arched doors to far left and right of S elevation.
Fixed-pane glazing. Grey slate with large rooflights to lower pitch. Ashlar skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
North Square Mission Hall occupies the central area of the North Square, reflecting its significance as an integral part of village life. The building is plain, with simple detailing throughout, and as such, responds sympathetically to its setting and context. Known locally as 'the schoolie' the hall was built for general as well as religious purposes and continues to operate as a multi-purpose meeting space.
The entire Footdee village was added to the statutory list in 1967 as a single entity. The village was subsequently given Conservation Area status in 1968. At resurvey in 2006, each building within the Conservation Area was re-assessed separately. Key examples, demonstrating both individual architectural interest and representing the history and development of the village as a whole, were selected for listing.
Footdee is a particularly interesting example of a planned housing development purpose-built to re-house Aberdeen's local fishing community. Laid out in 1809 by John Smith, then Superintendent Of The Town's Public Works. Smith went on to establish himself as one of Aberdeen's key architects. Occupying an isolated spit of land to the SE of Aberdeen's city centre, its regimented squares have been described as 'a cross between the neo-classical aspirations of Aberdeen and the close-knit fishing communities of the north-east'.
The two squares of Footdee originally contained 28 single-storey thatched houses although this increased when the later Middle Row (circa 1837) and Pilot Square (circa 1855) were added. The entrances on each of the North and South squares were filled in the 1870's by William Smith (son of John and architect of Balmoral Castle). He also added additional storeys to the East and West sides of South Square creating a tenement feel. This was an attempt to ease crowding resulting from an influx of fishing families from other less prosperous areas and to help try to enforce the 'one-house-one-family' rule.
The Town Council decided to start selling the dwellings to occupiers in 1880, beginning a period of incremental development and reconstruction. Additional storeys and dormers were added piecemeal by the new owners as funds allowed. The result is one of individuality expressed within the constraints of a strictly formal plan and is a contributing factor to the special architectural and historical interest of Footdee as a whole.
Throughout the 19th century, 'tarry sheds' were added to the communal land within the squares opposite each dwelling and now every dwelling has its own shed. Originally constructed from drift wood and other found materials, the sheds have been built and rebuilt in an idiosyncratic manner over the years in a variety of materials with rendered brick now predominating slightly (2006). Some timber built sheds remain, predominantly on the North side of North Square.
Referred to locally and historically as 'Fittie', the derivation of which remains uncertain although a number of suggestions have been put forward. The Church of St Fittick is situated half a mile away to the south. 'Footdee' is a more recent and literal Anglicisation, derived from its proximity to the mouth of the River Dee.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings