This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1476 / 57°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.1274 / 2°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 392389
OS Northings: 806311
OS Grid: NJ923063
Mapcode National: GBR S79.JR
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.9L6X
Plus Code: 9C9V4VXF+22
Entry Name: Boundary Walls And Provost's Lamp, 72 Hamilton Place With Gate Piers, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 72 Hamilton Place, Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Provosts Lamps
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355117
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20337
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Pirie and Clyne, 1890. 2-storey 3-bay villa. Rough-faced grey granite, finely finished to margins. Dark grey granite base course; ground floor cill course; 1st floor moulded cill course; continuous sunken fillet below lintels at 1st floor; eaves parapet.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to centre of ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door, leaded fanlight; 3-light bowed window to left of ground floor, forming balcony at 1st floor, pair of window to right of ground floor; single window to centre of 1st floor, pair of windows to bays to left and right.
NE ELEVATION: part-gabled; single storey addition to ground floor with window to left return; large stained glass stair window to centre; addition to outer right.
NW ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
SW ELEVATION: part-gabled; single window to ground floor.
2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews. Corniced gablehead and wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine interior. Oak panelled porch, timber inner door with geometric glazing pattern; dog-leg stair with distinctively turned timber balusters; mouldings and doors survive; simple fireplaces; panelled walls, decorative cornice and cusped plasterwork ceiling to principal room to rear.
GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND PROVOST'S LAMPS: low rough-faced pink granite Aberdeen bond walls to S with grey granite snecking and coping; gatepiers to left and right, shared with Nos 68-70 and Nos 74-76 Hamilton Place (see separate listings), grey granite shaft swept up from plinth, rough-faced pink granite neck surmounted by scrolled cap, rubble dividing walls to E and W. 2 decorative iron provost's lamps flank doorway to house, decoratively coloured glass.
A-Group with 63, 79, 62, 64-66, 68-70, 74-76, 78-80, 82-84, 86-88, 90-92, 94-96 and 98 Hamilton Place, Whitehill Bowling Green Wall and 87 Fountainhall Road (see separate listings). 72 Hamilton Place is part of J B Pirie (1851-1892) and Arthur Clyne's (1853-1924) finest terrace. The majority of Pirie and Clyne's houses on Hamilton Place follow the same formula: symmetrical double villas of mirrored plan, 2 gables to the attic, with a parapet running between. No 72, however, is quite different in composition, it is 2 storeys high and is a single villa. The reason for this is that the site it occupies was previously intended to be a road which was later abandoned in favour of No 72. The house is a simplified version of the others, possibly reflecting the cost-limit or taste of R W Bain for whom it was built. Of note at 72 Hamilton Place is the bowed window, which was unusual at that time as canted bays were much cheaper (and is employed at some of the houses, perhaps for this reason). The bow is more than a semi-circle, a feature used by Alexander Thomson, which Pirie and Clyne may have seen at "Croyland" 202 Ayr Road Newton Mearns (1875) or at Holmwood, Cathcart (1857-8) (see separate listings), which was also illustrated in Blackie's Villa and Cottage Architecture. The provost's lamps survive from when Provost Rust lived in the house.
Other nearby listed buildings