This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1665 / 57°9'59"N
Longitude: -2.1025 / 2°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 393901
OS Northings: 808415
OS Grid: NJ939084
Mapcode National: GBR SBV.5G
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.P40D
Plus Code: 9C9V5V8X+J2
Entry Name: 97 High Street, Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen
Listing Name: High Street, 97 (West Side) Old Aberdeen, St Machar Bar
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355151
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20363
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
18th century. 2-storey, 2-bay, public house closing irregular terrace with gable fronting important early street of Old Aberdeen. Principal (E) elevation with roughly coursed rubble refaced at ground mid 19th century, harl to side. Broad band course between floors at E.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: bay to left at ground with deep-set pilastered timber door with and plate glass fanlight, fixed window etched with 'St Machar Bar' at right, simple fascia above and regular fenestration at 1st floor. 3 openings to 1st floor S (Blackburn Place).
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stack with polygonal can; ashlar-coped skews and block skewputt.
INTERIOR: 1960s interior to narrow bar with shelved back gantry and Formica-topped bar counter, suspended canopy and bare wood fixed seating.
Part of Old Aberdeen 'A' group.
This is a rare survival of an early public house situated close to the university in Old Aberdeen. The current (2008) public house interior dates from the 1960s at which time the snug was removed.
List description updated as part of Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-8.
Other nearby listed buildings