This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1668 / 57°10'0"N
Longitude: -2.1021 / 2°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 393923
OS Northings: 808441
OS Grid: NJ939084
Mapcode National: GBR SBW.LW
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.P466
Plus Code: 9C9V5V8X+P5
Entry Name: 102 High Street, Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen
Listing Name: High Street, 100, 102 (East Side) Old Aberdeen
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355164
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20375
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
The monument is a prehistoric defended settlement, likely to date from the Iron Age (between 500 BC and AD 500). The dun comprises a drystone wall enclosing an oval area which measures 18m NE-SW by 11m transversely. The dun stands on a rocky knoll, which rises 15m above the surrounding rough moorland, at the N end of a prominent ridge running NE-SW. It is located in the SE of Islay, about 2.2km inland from the coast at Aros Bay, and 1.6km NW of Kintour. It overlooks lower ground to the N and S, and has extensive views out to sea to the E. The monument was first scheduled in 1978, but the documentation does not meet modern standards: the present rescheduling rectifies this.
The dun wall can be traced for its entire perimeter, although its form is obscured in places by tumbled stones. It varies in thickness from 3.5m on the NE side to 2m on the WSW, and large inner and outer facing-stones remain in position intermittently, indicating that this was originally a massive wall. Wall debris covers the SE flank of the knoll in a scree-like spread. At the SW end, it appears that the wall divided, with an inner section following the margin of the summit to complete the oval dun wall, and an outer section branching down towards the foot of the knoll to form a curving outwork. The entrance to the dun was on the SW side. The entrance through the outwork is 2.7m in average width; a short length of each side-wall of the passage is exposed. The entrance through the inner (main) wall is obscured by debris. Within the dun interior is a later sub-circular enclosure formed by a stone wall up to 1.2m wide enclosing an area 6m NE-SW by 5m transversely; the entrance faces NE. There are also the remains of a possible hut, visible as a sub-circular enclosure of drystone walling enclosing an area 6m by 5m. Most of the outer wall face of the dun is intact on the NW side, where it stands up to 1m high. Fragments of the inner facing are also visible here, giving a wall width of 2.7m at this point. Elsewhere only the rubble core remains. There are the remains of a cell at the dun entrance in the SW, visible as a sub-circular chamber. There are traces of further outworks at the foot of the hill to the SE and SW.
The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan and includes the remains described above, an area around them within which evidence relating to the monument's construction, use and abandonment may survive, and adjoining land essential for the monument's support and preservation, as shown in red on the accompanying map.
Other nearby listed buildings