This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1487 / 57°8'55"N
Longitude: -2.092 / 2°5'31"W
OS Eastings: 394532
OS Northings: 806430
OS Grid: NJ945064
Mapcode National: GBR SDB.BC
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VL02
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX5+F6
Entry Name: 5 Justice Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 1-7 (Odd Nos) Justice Street, Including Pend to Chapel Court
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355177
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20384
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Earlier 19th century. 3-storey and attic 6-bay Classical tenement building with shops to ground flanking central segmental-arched opening leading to Chapel Court. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Band course, cill course to 2nd storey, low stepped blocking course. Central archway with pilastered reveals, surmounted with iron urns and with decorative iron gates. Central coped wallhead stack to street elevation (S) with pair of small window openings. Pair of attic dormers. Recessed entrance doors to shops.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Coped gable stacks.
This is a good example of a Classical tenement, situated to the NE of the Castle Street area. It makes a significant contribution to the streetscape and adjoins nos 19-23 Castle Street (see separate listing). It is distinguished by its segmental-arched opening which leads into Chapel Court where St Peter's Roman Catholic Church of 1803 is situated (see separate listing). The simple Classical style is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. This tenement was erected circa 1843, after the previous tenement on the site was pulled down by the then priest of the church, Charles Gordon in 1828 as part of general alterations and extensions required for the expanding St Peter's Church.
Reference from previous list description: Rev Charles Gordon's Minute Book.
Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.
Other nearby listed buildings