This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.1367 / 2°8'12"W
OS Eastings: 391827
OS Northings: 806200
OS Grid: NJ918062
Mapcode National: GBR S5Z.MF
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4MSP
Plus Code: 9C9V4VW7+J8
Entry Name: 76 Forest Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 76 Forest Road at King's Gate (Formerly 55 King's Gate), Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355231
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20416
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
George Coutts, 1900. 2-storey at attic, 3-bay villa. Coursed rough-faced grey granite with finely finished dressings to E elevation; Aberdeen bound rubble to remainder. Finely finished base course; architraved openings to E elevation; eaves cornice.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; elaborate doorpiece through ground and 1st floors terminating in curved pediment; pilastered depressed-arched doorway with keystone detail, 2-leaf panelled timber door with small-pane fanlight, pilastered bipartite window to 1st floor supporting deep entablature breaking eaves with pediment; canted windows to ground floor of bays to left, 3-light segmental-arched windows, parapet forming balcony to 1st floor, tripartite windows to 1st floor; single gableted dormer recessed in roof.
N ELEVATION: window to centre of 1st floor; 4-light decorative rectangular dormer to centre of attic floor, flanked to left and right by wallhead stacks breaking eaves with oculus to centre of each, encased by pediment detail.
W ELEVATION: bipartite stained glass stair window to centre, gableted stained glass rectangular dormer to attic floor above; 3-light window to bay to right at ground floor, single window to 1st floor above, modern skylight to attic; piend-roofed 2-storey shallow wing to right with single storey and attic wing adjoining, irregular fenestration, modern skylight to attic behind.
S ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, with small pane upper sashes. Piended and platformed grey slate roof with lead ridges surmounted by iron brattishing. Corniced wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: large stained glass stair window; ? timber panelling; panelled doors to hall.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rough-faced granite ashlar square-plan gatepiers with decorative caps to NE; low coped Aberdeen bond granite walls flanking, stepped-up to N; iron gates.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 76 Forest Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as George Coutts, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. On a prominent corner site, 76 Forest Road is well detailed with elaborate doorpiece and unusual pediment details on stacks. Substantial boundary walls with distinctive gatepiers. Formerly 55 King's Gate.
Other nearby listed buildings