This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1419 / 57°8'30"N
Longitude: -2.1338 / 2°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 392001
OS Northings: 805671
OS Grid: NJ920056
Mapcode National: GBR S6D.LR
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.6R5B
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR8+PF
Entry Name: Rubislaw Store, 32-34 Queen's Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 32 and 34 Queen's Road (Former Rubislaw Toll House), Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355288
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20458
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
32 QUEEN'S ROAD:
Mid to later 19th century; 20th century addition and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan traditional villa adjoining 34 Queen's Road (see above). Tooled coursed grey granite, Aberdeen bond to rear, finely finished to margins. Projecting cills; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; doorway to centre of ground floor, corniced with consoles, modern timber door with fanlight above; bipartite window to flanking bay to right, 34 Queen's Road adjoining to flanking bay to left (see below); regular fenestration to 1st floor, chamfered lintels.
NE ELEVATION: blank.
NW ELEVATION: round-arched stair window to centre; widow to left of ground floor, infilled window opening to right; small window above; windows to left and right of 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by 20th century addition.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
34 QUEEN'S ROAD:
1837. Single storey, former Rubislaw Toll House adjoining 32 Queen's Road (see above) to N. Tooled coursed grey granite. Projecting cills.
SE ELEVATION: single bay; bowed end; broad 6-light window to centre.
NE ELEVATION: blank.
NW ELEVATION: adjoining 32 Queen's Road.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single window opening to left, 2-light window to right, deeply recessed boarded timber door to outer right.
Timber-framed windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped wallhead stack to NE, vent in roof to right. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: remodelled as restaurant (2000).
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped boundary walls to SE, surmounted by railings; brick coped wall to E.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Rubislaw Toll House (34 Queen's Road) was in use between 1837 and 1865, and is the only surviving building which predates the re-aligned Queen's Road. The villa adjoining is a later addition. 34 Queen's Road has had various uses, and is currently a restaurant with 32 Queen's Road.
Other nearby listed buildings