This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1464 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0984 / 2°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 394145
OS Northings: 806175
OS Grid: NJ941061
Mapcode National: GBR SCF.C4
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QMZV
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW2+HJ
Entry Name: 95, 97, 99 Union Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 95, 97 and 99 Union Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20524
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. 4-storey, 5-bay classical tenement with altered shops to ground and distinctive central panelled and coped wallhead stack. Grey granite ashlar. Cill course to top storey. Cornice.
Predominantly plate glass sash and case windows to upper storeys. Plate glass to shops. Gable stacks.
This building is an early example of a classical tenement and forms an essential component of the planned streetscape of Union Street. It has a distinctive central wallhead stack. The simple classical style is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. Planned as the major thoroughfare in an increasingly wealthy and confident city, Union Street was a bold and confident project which required major engineering to complete. The buildings which aligned the street had to reflect this sense of grandeur and confidence as the visual appearance of the street was of the utmost importance. Built in a similar style to buildings of Archibald Simpson, current knowledge (2006) cannot definitively attribute this building to him.
Union Street was developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, haphazard network of Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The former became Union Street. This was a particularly difficult project to complete as the street had to cut through St Katherine's Hill at the East end and be built on a series of arches culminating with a large bridge at the Denburn. The street was to be lined with classical buildings, but the initial idea of having a long, uniform classical design that each new house would have to conform to was abandoned, as it was realised that different purchasers would require some control over the design Some variety was therefore conceded. This variety had, however, to conform to the 'uniformity and regularity of the street' and that between each crossroads, the houses had to be the same height, the same number of storeys (4) and have the same pitch of roof.
Part of B Group with Nos 5-53, 67-89, 95-139, 143-153 (odd nos) Union Street, Nos 26-42, 46-62, 78-106, 114-144 (even nos) Union Street and St Nicholas Churchyard.
Reference from previous list description: Directories.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings