This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1432 / 57°8'35"N
Longitude: -2.11 / 2°6'35"W
OS Eastings: 393444
OS Northings: 805816
OS Grid: NJ934058
Mapcode National: GBR S9S.DZ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.KQGB
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVR+72
Entry Name: 441-443 Union Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 431 Union Street Including 429, 433, 441, 443 Union Street, Former Capitol Cinema
Listing Date: 26 May 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355484
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20547
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1932-3, A Marshall Mackenzie (reworking of 1927-31 plans by Clement George - see Notes). 3-storey, asymmetrical cinema. Steel frame with polished granite frontage. Three tall windows to 2nd and 3rd floor above central canopied entrance. Small sculpted panels above with 'CAPITOL' inscription and simplified Art-Deco pediment. Flanked by 2 bays to the left and three to the right. Shops (429 and 433) on each side of entrance. Door (433) to store above 433. Side and rear walls of brick.
INTERIOR: Information from www.scottishcinemas.org.uk: auditorium divided horizontally into night club upstairs and bar/restaurant below and the original proscenium arch has been retained.
The bold geometric styling of the former Capitol Cinema adds considerable interest to the streetscape. The first cinema in Scotland to use the Holophane colour lighting system as an integral part of the design, the Capitol was one of the most lavishly appointed cinema interiors of its day. Renowned Aberdeen architect, Marshall Mackenzie modernised and re-styled earlier plans by local architect Clement George who was removed from the project due to failing health. Mackenzie was also responsible for the extensive additions to Marischal College in 1905 - see separate listing. The Capitol replaced an earlier smaller picture house. Its proposed rebuilding is mentioned in The Builder 1927, p627. The cinema adjoins 423, 425 Union Street (see separate listing) extending back to Justice Mill Lane.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08
Other nearby listed buildings