This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1442 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.1004 / 2°6'1"W
OS Eastings: 394020
OS Northings: 805932
OS Grid: NJ940059
Mapcode National: GBR SC4.1K
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PPZJ
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVX+MR
Entry Name: College Street Railway Station Annex, Guild Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Former Station Building at North East Corner Guild Street and College Street
Listing Date: 2 March 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355827
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20674
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1909. Tall single storey to street elevation classical former booking office with distinctive canted corner and 2-storeys to rear former platform level (in commercial use, 2006). Grey granite; channelled rustication to street elevations (E and S) with contrasting deep polished granite base course. Deep cornice above doors and at wallhead. Parapet, balustraded at corner. Pair of large square-headed doorways at corner with moulded keystoned architraves and square panels above.
To rear (E), level with lower platform; round-arched openings with central timber door with large semi-circular fanlight above. Some openings blocked
Plate glass to openings. Flat roof with central pyramidal glazed skylight with decorative timber lantern. Coped wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).
This building was the booking office and waiting rooms for the former suburban railway network. The building is situated with the main elevation to the street with the rear connecting to the railway platform below. The unusual canted street elevation with a pair of large entrance doors makes this building a significant streetscape feature. The classical detailing is of some quality and it is an interesting survival of Aberdeen's suburban railway which closed in 1937. The large glass skylight and lantern on the roof is a distinctive feature.
This building is a remnant from the initial improvements of the original Joint Station and is situated to its North East. The Joint Station was built in 1867 and precedes the current Railway Station (see separate listing). Previous to 1867, there had been two railway companies operating within Aberdeen, the Caledonian Railway and the Great North of Scotland Railway. Each had their own station and it was not unusual for GSNR to refuse to hold the trains if connecting services from the South via the Caledonian Railway were late and to close their station. The Joint Station of 1867 brought these two companies under the same roof, but quickly became inadequate for the amount of traffic. Improvements were gradually made to the Station, including the building of new platforms to the West of the Station in 1908, which were primarily for suburban trains. This building, built a year later, was the booking office and waiting rooms for these passengers. The suburban service closed in 1937 and the building is now converted to commercial use (2006).