This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1469 / 57°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.0988 / 2°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 394118
OS Northings: 806226
OS Grid: NJ941062
Mapcode National: GBR SCC.66
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QMRH
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW2+QF
Entry Name: 19 Correction Wynd, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 19 Correction Wynd, Commercial Building at Corner of St Nicholas Lane
Listing Date: 25 November 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355835
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20681
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
James Matthews and Alexander Marshall Mackenzie, 1886. Classical 5-storey and attic commercial building with prominent full-height tripartite canted corner bay with shop to ground floor. 6-bay to St Nicholas Lane, 3-bay to Correction Wynd. Stugged granite ashlar with polished ashlar dressings; continuous moulded cill courses at each floor, projecting cornice at 4th floor, eaves course. Canted tripartite window bay of polished ashlar with balustraded parapet at wallhead. Principal elevations terminated by clasping full-height channelled rusticated pilasters. Now connected to 98-106 Union Street by later link rising from 1st to top floor. No openings to narrow NE elevation of coursed Aberdeen Bond rubble. Irregular arrangement of openings to rear (N).
Plate glass timber sash and case windows; non-traditional glazing to ground floor shop. Grey slate to mansard roof with slightly projecting flat-roofed bipartite dormer windows to E.
Number 19 Correction Wynd makes effective use of its restrictive corner site, with its dominant tripartite corner bay prominently visible from Union Street. The building is a good example of the work of Matthews and Mackenzie in the Classical Aberdeen tradition. From 1883 onward Mackenzie undertook virtually all of the design work of the Aberdeen office and became sole partner in 1897, going on to achieve his most distinguished work with the city Art Gallery and the Broad Street façade to Marischal College.
Steps lead down to Correction Wynd from Union Street opposite the building. The lower ground level of Correction Wynd still follows the Medieval street plan of the city. A 'House of Correction' was founded on the site in 1637 and stood until 1711. A plaque on the wall of St Nicholas Kirkyard, which lines the left hand side of the Wynd, states that the house 'provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents'. The loading bay and carpark behind No 19 Correction Wynd was formerly the site of St Thomas's Church (later the Free Melville).
Other nearby listed buildings