This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1426 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.134 / 2°8'2"W
OS Eastings: 391989
OS Northings: 805757
OS Grid: NJ919057
Mapcode National: GBR S6C.W7
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.6Q2R
Entry Name: 14 and 16 Forest Road at Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355862
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20700
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Arthur Clyne, architect, John Morgan, builder; 1896. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Coursed rough-faced grey granite ashlar, contrasting pale grey tooled and finely finished margins. Base course; ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded 1st floor cill course; eaves course; parapet between gables of principal elevation.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay, comprising 2 2-bay mirrored, semi-detached villas; doorways to 2 centre bays at ground floor, reveals waisted towards base, decorative volute brackets supporting lintels above, pilastered panelled timber doors, flanked by glazed panels, letterbox fanlights, window to each bay of 1st floor above. 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, forming balcony to attic floor; pedimented attic floor flanked by 2 deep scrolls, window centred to each (replacement glazing to 14 Forest Road), scrolled acroteria to pediment, sunflower patera centred in each. Skylights to centre of attic.
NW ELEVATION: gabled; lean-to addition to right of ground floor, panelled door with window above to left return.
SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; ground floor not seen 2000; single storey and attic wings adjoining to left and right, with 3-light piend-roofed dormer to each, regular fenestration to 1st floor; 2 canted dormers to centre of attic floor, with skylights above, flanked to outer left and right by broad rectangular dormers with catslide roofs.
SE ELEVATION: gabled; lean-to addition to left, doorway with window above to right return.
2-pane PVCu sash and case windows to 14 Forest Road; timber sash and case windows to 16 Forest Road. Grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge. Stone skews. Coped gablehead stacks and stack breaking pitch to rear, with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rough-faced grey granite walls to NE, gates to left and right; single gatepier to outer left, grey granite shaft swept up from plinth, rough-faced neck surmounted by scrolled cap; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
B-Group with 9 and 11 Forest Road. Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. 14 and 16 Forest Road were built for John Morgan (b. 1841), an Aberdeen builder who specialised in high quality granite cutting and carving. Morgan was a close friend of John Bridgeford Pirie (1851-1892), who until his death was Arthur Clyne's (1853-1924) partner. Morgan was involved in much of the work undertaken by the partnership. 14 and 16 Forest Road are a simplified version of Pirie and Clyne's double villas in Hamilton Place (see separate listings). They follow the same formula: symmetrical double villas of mirrored plan and 2 gables to the attic with parapet between. From the plans it would appear that as in Hamilton Place the houses were designed in outline first, then details were added later. The navel-like paterae appear in the majority of the designs by the partnership. The paterae are probably a development of the sunflower (a favourite motif of the Aesthetic Movement) or daffodil. The elaborate volutes flanking the doors and attic windows are similar to waves. After the death of Pirie, the designs produced by Arthur Clyne become more restrained, hence the use of the familiar double villa formula, but only simple details. 14 and 16 Forest Road are almost identical to 9 and 11 Forest Road, the only difference is the replacement of the rectangular-plan window with a canted one. Also similar in design are 35 and 37 Forest Road and 39 and 41 Forest Road, the architect appears to have been John Cameron for John Morgan.
Other nearby listed buildings