This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1281 / 2°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 392348
OS Northings: 805736
OS Grid: NJ923057
Mapcode National: GBR S76.QL
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.8QWW
Plus Code: 9C9V4VRC+XQ
Entry Name: St Joseph's School, 1 Queen's Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 1 Queen's Road, St Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355870
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20708
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably Matthews and Mackenzie, circa 1880; minor alterations by A Marshall Mackenzie, 1902; links to 3 Queen's Cross and 3 Queen's Road by W J Devlin, 1911 and 1923. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan villa, originally detached, now linked to 3 Queen's Cross and 3 Queen's Road (see separate listings). Tooled coursed grey granite, with contrasting light grey dressings, finely finished; granite rubble to SE Elevation. Base course; panelled aprons; long and short rusticated quoins; eaves course; overhanging eaves on brackets.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2 tripartite windows to basement floor, enclosed by low wall and railings; distyle Tuscan porch advanced to centre of ground floor, pilasters flanking doorway, panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight reached by 5 stone steps; corniced and architraved tripartite windows to flanking bays to left and right of ground floor, with pilastered astragals; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by link (to 3 Queen's Road), W J Devlin, 1923.
SE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 5-bay; round-arched leaded glass window to centre between ground and 1st floors; timber door flanked to right by window, flight of iron steps with railings leading to garden; regular fenestration to basement floor; single windows to penultimate bays to left and right of ground floor, bipartite windows to outer left and right; near-regular fenestration to 1st floor; modern skylights to attic floor. Additions by W J Devlin adjoining to outer left and right (see above and below).
NE ELEVATION: obscured by link (to 3 Queen's Cross), W J Devlin, 1911.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced wallhead stack with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: many of mouldings, architraves and panelled doors survive. Panelled timber inner door with glazed upper panels, flanked to left and right by glazed panels, simple fanlight above; depressed arch on fluted pilasters with moulded keystone, leading to dog-leg staircase with decorative iron balusters; leaded and stained glass stair window. Panelled principal room to E at ground floor (painted), round-arched niches flanked by slender pilasters; deep coved frieze ornamented with cartouche details, some bearing letter "B" (initial of original owner); dentil moulded cornice; panelled shutters to windows. Decorative marble fire surround to headmistresses office.
B-Group with Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, 3 Queen's Cross and 3 and 5 Queen's Road (see separate listings). St Joseph's Roman Catholic School began in the small gardener's cottage on the periphery of the present school grounds, under the direction of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. In 1896 the school was taken on by the Aberdeen Education Authority as St Joseph's Girls School. It was a small school with 125 pupils and six teachers. In 1970 the school moved to 3 Queen's Cross, and a few years later took on the adjoining buildings, with the exception of 1 Queen's Road, which was retained by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart until 1993. Features of particular note at 1 Queen's Road include the Tuscan porch, flanking pilastered windows and fine plasterwork to ground floor.
Other nearby listed buildings