This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1422 / 57°8'31"N
Longitude: -2.1293 / 2°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 392272
OS Northings: 805706
OS Grid: NJ922057
Mapcode National: GBR S70.ZM
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.8R93
Plus Code: 9C9V4VRC+V7
Entry Name: 7 Queen's Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 7 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20711
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 19th century; 20th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed granite finely finished to margins at NW elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Base course; chamfered reveals; projecting cills; eaves course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; kneelered gabled bay stepped forward to right, canted window through ground and 1st floors forming balcony at attic floor, single window centred to attic, stone finial to apex; kneelered gableted porch to re-entrant angle to left, segmental-arched doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door, with simple fanlight, window to left return, single window to 1st floor of centre bay above; tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to left; 2 gableted wallhead dormers to attic floor above, segmental-arched windows set in kneelered gablets, timber scrolls flanking at base. Single storey, flat-roofed wing adjoining to left, bipartite window to centre.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; doorway to centre of ground floor, window to each floor above.
SE ELEVATION: basement, ground and most of 1st floors obscured by 20th century additions, harled lean-to to left, conservatory on piers to right, and flat-roofed harled block to outer right; windows to left and right of 1st floor behind; 2 canted dormers to attic floor, linked by rectangular dormer.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; single storey wing to ground floor (see above), remainder blank.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped skews with decoratively moulded skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: predominantly remodelled as hotel; mouldings survive to principal room to W of ground floor, deep scrolled frieze and moulded cornice, 2 pointed-arched niches with cupboards inset.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers with pyramidal caps to NW, shared with adjacent properties, low coped granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 7 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 7 Queen's Road is one of the earlier of villas on Queen's Road, between Queen's Cross and Queen's Gate. Currently in use as The Dutch Mill Hotel.
Other nearby listed buildings