This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.141 / 57°8'27"N
Longitude: -2.1351 / 2°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 391922
OS Northings: 805574
OS Grid: NJ919055
Mapcode National: GBR S66.W0
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5SK0
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR7+9X
Entry Name: 47 Queen's Road Including Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 45, 45a, 47 and 47a Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355891
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20727
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, architect and John Morgan, builder, 1895; later additions and alterations. 2-storey basement and attic, 4-bay pair of semi-detached villas. Rough faced coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished to contrasting pale grey margins at NW elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded cills to NW elevation.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay comprising mirrored pair of 2-bay villas; 2 broad round-arched doorways to centre bays of ground floor, jambs waisted towards base, moulded impost detail above, finely finished voussoirs with keystone detail, doors deeply recessed, pilastered pair of small-pane glazed timber doors to each with broad small-pane fanlight; 2 windows to 1st floor above; 2 large gableted dormers set in mansard infill at attic floor. Gabled outer bays, 3-light canted windows to ground floor of each, with parapet enclosing balcony to 1st floor; tripartite windows to 1st floor; attic floor slightly advanced on corbel brackets, tripartite windows centred in gableheads, queenpost details and overhanging eaves, iron sunflower finials to apexes.
SW ELEVATION: gabled.
SE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; full-height basement; doorways to centre 2 bays of basement floor, bipartite windows flanking to outer bays; 2 windows to centre 2 bays of ground floor with balcony adjoining projecting timber lean-to oriels to outer bays; regular fenestration to centre bays of 1st floor, bipartite windows flanking to outer bays; 2 7-light dormers with catslide roofs to attic floor.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; window to centre of ground and 1st floor.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes and small-pane upper sashes; some replacement glazing to SE elevation. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead and stacks breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent villas), with low coped walls between; granite coped rubble walls dividing gardens to NW; high brick coped rubble walls to S, swept down.
B-Group with 37-39, 41-43, 49-51 and 53 Queen's Road (see separate listings). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 45 and 47 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Mackenzie designed many of the adjacent villas, notably 37-39, 41-43 and 49-51 Queen's Road, which follow the same formula as 45-47 Queen's Road, and 53 Queen's Road, which is a single villa version of the above. This particular group shows the influence of the architecture of Pirie and Clyne (seen best at Hamilton Place, see separate listings), common features include the waisted jambs flanking the doorways, parapet between gables and the iron sunflower finials. John Morgan, the builder, also patronised Pirie and Clyne, and was involved in their buildings at Hamilton Place, so it seems likely that he could have encouraged the use of the aforementioned features.
Other nearby listed buildings