This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1425 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1312 / 2°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 392157
OS Northings: 805740
OS Grid: NJ921057
Mapcode National: GBR S6S.2N
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.7QDV
Entry Name: 14 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355902
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20736
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Duncan McMillan, 1876. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa with Scots baronial detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite, with contrasting light grey dressings, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; Aberdeen bond rubble to remainder. Rough-faced basement floor; base course; stop-chamfered reveals to SE; crowstepped gables to SE elevation.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; segmental-arched doorway to centre bay of ground floor, chamfered reveals, replacement panelled timber door with stained-glass fanlight reached by stone steps flanked by railings; gableted window breaking eaves to centre bay of 1st floor, decorative stone finial to apex; canted window through basement and ground floor of flanking bay to left, iron railings enclosing basement, piended slate roof; gableted bipartite window to 1st floor above, breaking eaves, stone finial to apex. Gabled bay advanced to right; canted window through basement and ground floors, iron railings enclosing basement, piended slate roof; bipartite window to 1st floor; narrow opening set in gablehead of attic floor; spherical stone finial to apex of gable.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; addition to basement floor; windows to centre of ground and 1st floors.
NW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration; panelled timber door to left at basement floor; segmental-arched stained-glass window near centre of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by gableted windows breaking eaves.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; blank.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows, replacement to 1st floor. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews with beaked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: tiled floor to entrance porch; some doors, architraves, skirting boards and cornicing survives; stair boxed-in (2000); no fireplaces to ground floor.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps (shared with adjacent properties) to SE, low coped rough-faced granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 14 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Duncan McMillan, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The Scots baronial style was much favoured in the W end of Aberdeen, possibly following the example of Balmoral (see separate listing). The composition of 14 Queen's Road is similar to that of 25, 27 and 29 Queen's Road, by John Rust, who frequently designed in this style, and also similar to the adjacent 16 Queen's Road (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings