This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1409 / 57°8'27"N
Longitude: -2.1391 / 2°8'20"W
OS Eastings: 391680
OS Northings: 805568
OS Grid: NJ916055
Mapcode National: GBR S5N.MV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.3SN1
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR6+99
Entry Name: 82 Queen's Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 82 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355920
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20749
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, 1898. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with finely finished pink granite dressings to SE elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Rough-faced pink granite base course; ground and 1st floor moulded cill courses; eaves course. Pink granite architraves to openings of SE elevation; long and short rough-faced granite quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to centre bay of ground floor, architraves with keystone detail flanked by radial voussoirs and surmounted by saddle-back cornice, stone steps lead to 2-leaf panelled timber door, 6-light fanlight with turned astragals; deep architraves and corniced tripartite window to flanking bay to left at ground floor; gableted windows to centre and left bays at 1st floor breaking eaves, stone finials and skewputts. 3-light canted window to ground floor of gabled bay to right, window to centre of 1st floor, bull's-eye opening set in gablehead.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; flat-roofed and lean-to additions to ground floor, decorative stained glass stair window above, window to outer left.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; wing advanced to bay to right, 2-leaf small-pane door to ground floor, piend-roofed dormer to attic, regular fenestration and openings to returns; hexagonal bay to re-entrant angle to left, regular fenestration; narrow small-pane door to centre bay at ground floor, flanked to left by broad window; pair of piend-roofed windows breaking eaves to 1st floor above; 4-light rectangular dormers with catslide roofs to attic floor.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; window to left of ground floor, irregular fenestration to 1st floor; single storey and attic wing to outer left.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, plate glass and 2-pane lower sashes, small-pane upper sashes. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped pink granite skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead and wallhead stacks with octagonal cans; paired diamond-end stacks to gablehead of principal elevation. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: glazed inner door to porch, flanked by fluted pilastered, large plate glass fanlight; hallway panelled below dado, cartouche frieze, ribbed and boarded ceiling; arcaded screen to stair, simple balusters, delicate sunrise stained glass stair window. Elaborate plasterwork throughout; timber and marble fireplaces survive (many boxed in).
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped rough-faced granite wall to SE, flanked to left and right by square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers (shared with adjacent properties); granite and brick coped walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 82 Queen's Road, which was built for John Rae, is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 82 Queen's Road is notable not only for the high quality and original external detailing, but also for the survival of much of the internal detailing. Currently in use as The Hamilton School (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings