This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1441 / 57°8'38"N
Longitude: -2.14 / 2°8'24"W
OS Eastings: 391623
OS Northings: 805925
OS Grid: NJ916059
Mapcode National: GBR S5J.94
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.3P6L
Entry Name: 17 Rubislaw Den North, Cramond House, Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355938
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20766
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Matthews & Mackenzie, early 20th century. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay villa with classical detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite with finely finished light grey granite dressings to N elevation; granite rubble to remainder. Rough-faced base course; architraved openings; ground and 1st floor cill courses; dividing band course; eaves course and cornice; strip and long and short quoins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3 pedimented bays to centre, Tuscan columned doorpiece to centre of ground floor, supporting entablature and 3-light oriel window, round-arched rusticated doorway with keystone detail, pilastered 2-leaf timber door with radial fanlight; oculus centred in pediment; regular fenestration to flanking bays to left and right at ground and 1st floors. Bays to left and right slightly recessed, shallow rectangular-plan bipartite windows, single window to 1st floor above; modern skylights to attic floor.
W ELEVATION: single storey additions to ground floor.
S ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
E ELEVATION: bay advanced to left with windows to centre and outer returns, remainder not seen 2000.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: pedimented granite lodge to NW of villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey dressings; extended to S; piended grey slate roof with lead ridges.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 pairs of square-plan granite gatepiers with banded rustication, corniced necks and spherical finials, low coped rough-faced granite walls between; coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 17 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews and Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Of particular note at 17 Rubislaw Den North is the decorative doorpiece surmounted by an oriel window, and the fine gatepiers.
Other nearby listed buildings