This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1448 / 57°8'41"N
Longitude: -2.1355 / 2°8'7"W
OS Eastings: 391896
OS Northings: 805996
OS Grid: NJ918059
Mapcode National: GBR S64.NW
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5PB3
Entry Name: 2 and 4 Rubislaw Den North at Forest Road, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355941
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20768
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly Matthews and Mackenzie, circa 1880. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Rough-faced coursed grey granite finely finished to margins. Rough-faced base course; dividing band course; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
SE (RUBISLAW DEN NORTH) ELEVATION: 4-bay comprising 2 2-bay mirrored houses; broad doorways to centre to bays of ground floor, pilastered panelled timber doors flanked by glazed panels and letterbox fanlights, windows to centre of 1st floor above; gableted bays to outer left and right, 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors; skylights to attic floor, modern skylights to 2 Rubislaw Den North.
NE (FOREST ROAD) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-light canted window to right of ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor above; gabled bay advanced to left, pair of narrow windows with panelled aprons to ground and 1st floors.
NW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; single storey and attic wings advanced to centre bays, flanked by near-regular fenestration; gabled bays to outer left and right.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-light canted window to left of ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor above; gabled bay advanced to right, pair of narrow windows with panelled aprons to ground and 1st floors.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows, decoratively leaded upper sashes to NE elevation of 4 Rubislaw Den North. Piended and gabled grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped gablehead and stacks breaking pitch, with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped Aberdeen bond granite walls to SE and NE, rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 2 and 4 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews and Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 2 and 4 Rubislaw Den South is a simple, but well detailed double villa, retaining the original pilastered doors.
Other nearby listed buildings