This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.145 / 57°8'41"N
Longitude: -2.1371 / 2°8'13"W
OS Eastings: 391802
OS Northings: 806017
OS Grid: NJ918060
Mapcode National: GBR S5Y.6H
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4NLY
Entry Name: 14 and 16 Rubislaw Den North, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355946
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20771
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Henderson, 1906. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Tooled coursed grey granite finely finished to margins of S elevation; coursed rubble to remainder. Rough-faced base course; projecting cills; dividing string course; overhanging eaves; half-timbered detail to gableheads; timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay comprising 2 2-bay mirrored houses. 2 gabled bays to centre, 3-light canted windows with parapets forming balconies to 1st floor, tripartite windows to 1st floor, bipartite windows set in gablehead of attic floor. Segmental-arched, chamfered doorways to outer left and right at ground floor, panelled 2-leaf timber doors with fanlights above; narrow segmental-arched window flanking to outer left and right with chamfered reveals; single window to 1st floor, gableted dormer to attic floor.
E ELEVATION: gabled; 2-storey wing adjoining to right.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: gabled; 2-storey wing adjoining to left.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with decorative upper panes to some windows at 1st and attic floors of S elevation. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan piers to S, with shallow pyramidal caps, low coped walls between; rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 14 and 16 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. John Henderson was responsible for the majority of the houses at the E end of Rubislaw Den North (on the N side of the road). 14 and 16 Rubislaw Den North, and the adjacent single villa, 12 Rubislaw Den North (see separate listing), are more detailed than those further W, with particularly fine glazing patterns to the upper sashes.
Other nearby listed buildings