This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1447 / 57°8'40"N
Longitude: -2.1395 / 2°8'22"W
OS Eastings: 391659
OS Northings: 805987
OS Grid: NJ916059
Mapcode National: GBR S5L.FQ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.3PH5
Entry Name: 46 Rubislaw Den North, the Red House, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355952
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20777
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
R Leslie Roll and D Poulson Hall, 1936-38. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Rough-faced pink granite finely finished to margins. Rubble base course; overhanging eaves; shallow catslide roofs to 1st floor windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors of centre bay; 6-light rectangular-plan window advanced to ground floor of bay to left, glazed door to right return, tripartite window to 1st floor above; gabled bay to right, 6-light shallow bowed window to ground floor of bay to right, tripartite window to 1st floor above, half-timbered gablehead.
E ELEVATION: gabled, roof swept down to ground floor at right; stone steps with retaining wall advanced at ground floor; broad shallow piend-roofed porch advanced to ground floor, inward canted doorway in deeply chamfered segmental arch, 2-leaf boarded timber door flanked by glazed panels, window flanking to left, chamfered outer left angle with small window to centre, window centred to 1st floor.
N AND W ELEVATIONS: not seen 2000.
Predominantly timber casement windows with top hoppers and rectangular leaded detail. Piended rosemary slate roof with terracotta ridges, swept down to N. Wallhead, gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: cyclopean granite wall to S.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 46 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The principal rooms are on the S facing side, with a spinal corridor to the N.
Other nearby listed buildings