This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1426 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1416 / 2°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 391528
OS Northings: 805755
OS Grid: NJ915057
Mapcode National: GBR S59.43
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2QGR
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV5+29
Entry Name: 48 Rubislaw Den South, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 48 Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Ancillary Structure
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355994
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20813
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Cameron, 1900; later additions and alterations. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan villa with service wing to rear. Rough-faced coursed grey granite ashlar with finely finished long and short dressings to S elevation; coursed rubble to remainder. Base course; dividing band course; 1st floor cill course; eaves course; long and short quoins; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pilastered doorway to centre bay at ground floor with pair of lamps adjoining, stone steps to panelled timber door, flanked by leaded panels and fanlight, window to centre of 1st floor; 3-light canted windows to ground floor of bays to left and right, bipartite windows to 1st floor above; skylight to centre of attic floor.
E ELEVATION: gablet detail to centre; service wing adjoining to outer right.
N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; small windows to centre bay at ground floor, large stair window above; service wing advanced to ground floor of bay to left, extended to form sun porch at right return, window to 1st floor above; modern conservatory to ground floor of bay to right, bipartite window to 1st floor above; broad rectangular dormer to centre of attic floor incorporating 3 bipartite windows.
W ELEVATION: gablet detail to centre; 2 windows to left of ground floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite garage to NW, with broad boarded and glazed timber door, pyramidal purple-grey slate roof with terracotta ridges, dormer to centre. Square-plan gatepiers to S, with low stepped granite wall between; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder, with modern greenhouse adjoining to N.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 48 Rubislaw Den South, which was built for Henri Berneand, is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as John Cameron, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients.
Other nearby listed buildings