This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8715 / 55°52'17"N
Longitude: -3.9764 / 3°58'35"W
OS Eastings: 276430
OS Northings: 666020
OS Grid: NS764660
Mapcode National: GBR 00NK.X2
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.WPN7
Plus Code: 9C7RV2CF+HC
Entry Name: Regional Council Office, Chapel Street, Airdrie
Listing Name: Chapel Street, Educational Resource Centre, Formerly Chapelside Primary School, Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356150
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20939
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
George Arthur, 1883, N wing addition James Thomson, 1905. Single storey, 11-bay, crowstepped, E-plan Jacobethan school with T-plan addition to rear. Birdcage bellcote to central gabled bay, corbelled corners over rounded arrises. Squared yellow sandstone courses. Deep bull-faced sandstone base course, jettied and billeted continuous projecting wallhead. Single or bipartite, stone mullioned, windows inscribed within relieving segmental arches.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled bay to centre; tripartite window to centre of gable end with small window over, corbelled birdcage bellcote to apex with ball-finialed pyramidal roof. Flanked by smaller gabled entrance porches, stone steps flush to wall, entrance door with small window to side. Symmetrical 3-bay links, regular fenestration. Advanced gabled outer bays, stone mullioned tripartite windows to centre of gable end, regular fenestration to returns.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: regular fenestration. Abutting 1905 addition to centre.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: regular fenestration.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: regular fenestration.
N WING: in similar style to main building; T-plan abutting main building to S. N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 8-bay. Gabled double bays to centre and outer bays, bipartite windows with cavetto moulded margins. Inscribed panel to central gable head bearing ASB mongram for Airdrie School Board. 2 service doors to lower floor. S (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled, advanced bay to centre abutting main building; advanced gabled bay to centre of left return, gabled dormer breaking eaves to right, Dutch gable breaking eaves to double doorway to left. Lean-to corridor to right return; small gabled entrance porch to right.
Mixture of plate glass and multi-pane sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods, Coped gable stacks and skewputts.
INTERIOR: refitted in 1970s with some painted timber panelling to walls and ceiling in outer wings.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: semicircular-arched coping to squared sandstone rubble wall. Various ashlar gatepiers: plinth, chamfered panel to column, segmental arch caps. Plain cast-iron gates and railings.
Other nearby listed buildings