This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8664 / 55°51'58"N
Longitude: -3.9831 / 3°58'59"W
OS Eastings: 275992
OS Northings: 665468
OS Grid: NS759654
Mapcode National: GBR 00ML.GX
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.STG4
Plus Code: 9C7RV288+HP
Entry Name: Airdrie Public Library, Wellwynd, Airdrie
Listing Name: Wellwynd, Airdrie Public Library
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356162
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20950
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
J M Arthur, 1924. 2-storey, 7-bay, rectangular-plan severe classical library. Giant order entrance bay. Cream ashlar sandstone, grey granite base course. Channelled quoins. Base course, dividing band between 1st and 2nd storey, broad eaves course, cornice, blocking course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced entrance bay to centre; granite hoodmould to entrance, 2-leaf timber panelled door, plinth above, recessed bay with tall, bipartite stained glass window to centre; flanking engaged Doric columns in antis. Eaves entablature to central bay terminating in blocked parapet. Regular fenestration to outer bays.
W (REAR) 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, harled addition to rear with further 2-storey, 2-bay gabled block to rear.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay, regular fenestration.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of S.
Multi-pane steel-framed windows with top hoppers. Low hipped roof, grey slates, lead flashing.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
Complimented by the neighbouring Airdrie Savings Bank (see separate listing) of the same date and also by Arthur, the site and much of the cost being gifted by the bank. The building was the third and final resting place of Airdrie Public Library having previously moved from its original home in Airdrie Town House (see separate listing) to a new building on Anderson Street in 1893 (now Airdrie Arts Centre, see separate listing) prior to the opening of the present building in 1924. The library houses the East Monklands standard from the Covenanting Battle of Bothwell Brig of 1679, which was carried by John Main, laird of Ballochney.
Other nearby listed buildings