This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1138 / 56°6'49"N
Longitude: -3.7936 / 3°47'36"W
OS Eastings: 288568
OS Northings: 692674
OS Grid: NS885926
Mapcode National: GBR 1J.LZNT
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.PLQG
Plus Code: 9C8R4674+GH
Entry Name: 25-27 Bank Street, Alloa
Listing Name: 25 and 27 Bank Street, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 Union Street, 2 and 12 Brewhouse Court, 20 and 22 Coalgate, Former Meadow Brewery and Union Club
Listing Date: 14 June 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356191
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20981
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
Late 18th and early to mid 19th century brewery and office of George Younger and Sons Ltd, part remodelled by John Melvin, 1901, as Union Club. 4 blocks of buildings arranged around a courtyard, NE and Coalgate ranges probably built as maltings, with brewhouse at Union Street and office at Bank Street. Central brewing tower or kiln.
Elevation to Bank Street: circa 1840 painted droved ashlar. Pilastered and corniced doorpieces, 1 symmetrically placed (perhaps originally manager's house?) 1 asymmetrical. Ground floor cill course, 1st floor segmental arched windows, cornice and blocking course. Bowed corner, ground floor window blocked, 1st floor retaining bowed glazing. Taller corniced door to Union Street with scroll-supported wallhead stack over plaque.
Elevation to Union Street: 5-bay, all openings altered 1901, but evidence of blocked openings, an oculus and a
relocated datestone of 1776 remain. 3 bays to left rebuilt from 1st floorlevel (originally louvred for coolers) with lugged architraved bipartites. Pend entrance originally
segmental arched. 2 bays to right originally 3-storey, retains original roof line, slated instead of tiled. 2
4-light oriels coved to meet overhanging gablets with decorative timber bracing.
Elevation to Coalgate: 2 bays with similar oriels to left. 3-storey malting altered to 2-storey: small windows blocked and larger architraved bipartites inserted. Relocated lead datestone of 1776. Modern window at ground. 3-bay gable to E maltings with stepped tripartite at 1st.
Courtyard: buildings similarly retain evidence of blocked openings indicating a raising of ceiling heights. 3-storey tower (or possibly a kiln) with altered openings. Upper
stage harled, probably in place of louvres. Pyramidal pantiled roof formerly bore louvred ventilator. Windows sash and case, circa 1900 4-pane glazing pattern to Bank Street, margined upper cases to Union Street and Coalgate. Roofs slate with ridge tiles. Original pantiles to brewing tower.
Interior: NE maltings floor on cast-iron pipes. Gothic timber arched-braced roof to meeting hall above. Coved plaster cornices in Bank Street corner. Interior of remainder largely reconstructed 1901 except roofs of tower and of taller Union Street/Coalgate blocks (stone flagged attic). Fine Edwardian panelling and timber chimney pieces at 1st floor for Union Club. Cast-iron range at ground.
George Younger was active as a brewer in Alloa from at least 1745 and established Meadow Brewery on its present site in 1764-6. Younger expanded into Candleriggs Brewery in 1852 and became the third largest brewer in Scotland, after William McEwan and William Younger of Edinburgh. Meadow Brewery ceased brewing in 1877 and became the company offices, part being the club of the Conservatives and Unionist Party. Younger's closed entirely in 1963. Now a Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall. Up-graded C(S) to B January, 1990. Statutory address altered January 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings