This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9835 / 54°59'0"N
Longitude: -3.2623 / 3°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 319319
OS Northings: 566161
OS Grid: NY193661
Mapcode National: GBR 5BNT.JC
Mapcode Global: WH6Y6.VZQZ
Plus Code: 9C6RXPMQ+93
Entry Name: Annan Station
Listing Name: Station Road, Annan Station Including Signal Box
Listing Date: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356379
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21127
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale South
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
William Fairburn for James Miller, opened 1848. Broad-eaved Italianate station with station master's house. 2 storeys; roughly T-plan with main roof swept over house entrance bay in re-entrant angle, gabled low bay alongside; columned open porch in W re-entrant angle; long single storey red brick addition to W circa 1900 with glazed roof.
Stugged red ashlar with polished dressings, moulded architraves, continuous corbel table raised as hood-moulds over 1st floor windows. Canted ground floor window in N gable. Stacks have bracketted cornices. Slate roofs. Long 4-bay glass-roofed canopy to platform has single low cast-iron columns with foliated capitals below apex, and connected to gutters draining rainwater. Low ranges adjoin E gable.
SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NY 19090, 66229): 1877, Great Scottish and Western Railway (Type 1). Tall, rectangular-plan signal box with brick plinth, horizontal timber weather-boarding and piended slate roof. Glazing to signal cabin returns at corner angles to side elevations, separarated by weatherboarded section at track-facing elevation. Reconfigured, 20 lever Stevens and Sons/Caledonian frame installed 1973.
Annan Station is a particularly fine and well-detailed, Italianate influenced, mid 19th century railway station in the South West region of Scotland. The ordered composition and massing of the building and use of good quality sandstone ashlar and other materials mark it out as an example within its building type. It was built for the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway in 1848 and is one of the best-surviving early stations in the south west.
Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013), both on and off the public network. All pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation are due to become obsolete by 2021. The signal box at Annan is an early example of a 'Type 1' box by the Glasgow and South Western Railway (used by the company between 1875-1887) and is distinguished from later designs by for its distinctive, non-continous cabin glazing arrangement. It is one of only a small number of pre-1880 signal boxes in Scotland. Less than 15 of over 250 boxes built by this major railway company remain (as of 2013). While the Annan signal box has lost its original timber access stair and cabin window shelf and rail, it retains its notably tall and narrow profile.
Statutory Address and List Description revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings