This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5546 / 56°33'16"N
Longitude: -2.5864 / 2°35'10"W
OS Eastings: 364051
OS Northings: 740447
OS Grid: NO640404
Mapcode National: GBR VV.P391
Mapcode Global: WH8S8.7JN0
Plus Code: 9C8VHC37+RC
Entry Name: Bell Rock Lighthouse Signal Tower, Lady Loan, Arbroath
Listing Name: Ladyloan, Bell Rock Lighthouse Signal Tower and Entrance Lodges
Listing Date: 11 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356497
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21230
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Arbroath East and Lunan
Traditional County: Angus
1813. Classical and castellated group of twin lodges and signal tower. Painted stone.
TOWER: engaged, 4-storey castellated tower rising from centre of piend-roofed, 2-storey, 3-bay house. Lower 2 stages of tower acting as bowed centre bay of house fanlit door at ground with encircling Roman Doric portico, 3 windows at 1st floor and windows in flanking bays; wallhead blocking course bowed around tower. Upper stages with narrow round-arched windows, dividing string course, quatrefoil detailed frieze and corbelled castellation at head. Flagpole and signal ball crowning tower.
LODGES: pair of 3-bay classical lodges flanking entrance to signal tower comprised of 2-storey centre bays with window to each floor, flanked by tall single storey blank, piend-roofed quasi pavilions. Panelled and coped gate pilasters to inner quoins of lodges. Mansard rood additional circa 1956. Small-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate roofs. Wallhead stacks to 2-storey base of tower.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
Linked in an A Group with Bell Rock Lighthouse (in Arbroath and St Vigeans Parish) to mark the functional relationship between the subjects. The ball on the signal tower?s flagpole rose and fell to alert the workers constructing the Lighthouse. The Signal Tower now functions as a museum and houses the later 19th century dioptic apparatus with Fresnel lenses which previously served as the lighthouse's source of illumination, moved here on the demanning of the structure in 1988.
Other nearby listed buildings