History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ladyloan, Bell Rock Lighthouse Signal Tower and Entrance Lodges

A Category A Listed Building in Arbroath, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5546 / 56°33'16"N

Longitude: -2.5864 / 2°35'10"W

OS Eastings: 364051

OS Northings: 740447

OS Grid: NO640404

Mapcode National: GBR VV.P391

Mapcode Global: WH8S8.7JN0

Entry Name: Ladyloan, Bell Rock Lighthouse Signal Tower and Entrance Lodges

Listing Date: 11 October 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356497

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21230

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arbroath

County: Angus

Town: Arbroath

Electoral Ward: Arbroath East and Lunan

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Arbroath

Description

1813. Classical and castellated group of twin lodges and signal tower. Painted stone.

TOWER: engaged, 4-storey castellated tower rising from centre of piend-roofed, 2-storey, 3-bay house. Lower 2 stages of tower acting as bowed centre bay of house fanlit door at ground with encircling Roman Doric portico, 3 windows at 1st floor and windows in flanking bays; wallhead blocking course bowed around tower. Upper stages with narrow round-arched windows, dividing string course, quatrefoil detailed frieze and corbelled castellation at head. Flagpole and signal ball crowning tower.

LODGES: pair of 3-bay classical lodges flanking entrance to signal tower comprised of 2-storey centre bays with window to each floor, flanked by tall single storey blank, piend-roofed quasi pavilions. Panelled and coped gate pilasters to inner quoins of lodges. Mansard rood additional circa 1956. Small-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate roofs. Wallhead stacks to 2-storey base of tower.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

Statement of Interest

Linked in an A Group with Bell Rock Lighthouse (in Arbroath and St Vigeans Parish) to mark the functional relationship between the subjects. The ball on the signal tower?s flagpole rose and fell to alert the workers constructing the Lighthouse. The Signal Tower now functions as a museum and houses the later 19th century dioptic apparatus with Fresnel lenses which previously served as the lighthouse's source of illumination, moved here on the demanning of the structure in 1988.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.