This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2935 / 56°17'36"N
Longitude: -3.2269 / 3°13'36"W
OS Eastings: 324162
OS Northings: 711910
OS Grid: NO241119
Mapcode National: GBR 27.7F0D
Mapcode Global: WH6R1.D2MM
Plus Code: 9C8R7QVF+C7
Entry Name: Spittal House, Middleflat, Auchtermuchty
Listing Name: 6 Middleflat, Auchtermuchty (Street Elevation Only)
Listing Date: 23 November 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356744
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21463
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
1829. The 4-bay street elevation of this single storey and attic semi-detached former weaver's cottage is a good example its type. Snecked and roughly coursed whinstone rubble with contrasting lighter droved long and short sandstone quoins and margins. There is a door in the bay to right of the centre, two windows to the left and a single window to the right. There are chamfered openings, an eaves course and grey slates and ashlar-coped skews and coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes. There is plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. The interior (seen 2009) has been modernised.
Built in 1829, the street elevation of 6 Middleflat is a good example of an early weaver's cottage. The principal interest is the street elevation to Middleflat with its unaltered openings and unbroken roofline.
The largely unaltered street elevation of this vernacular building, comprising a dwelling and former workspace, is built of local whinstone in the traditional manner with a larger two bay work area (to the left in this example) and single bay accommodation. It is a key example of the dominant local industry of the early 19th century. Middleflat is sited a short distance to the east of the town centre and north of the main Cupar road. Two rows of weavers cottages appear on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map and only No 6 survives in such original condition. Industry in Auchtermuchty was developing in the 18th century with linen production and an iron foundry and then continued through the 19th century. Groome writes towards the end of the 19th century "The weaving of diapers, huckabacks, sheetings, etc. (chiefly by handloom), has long been the staple industry; there are now some 600 looms in the town, and 200 more in the parish". The last loom stopped weaving in 1912.
Formerly listed as 'House (Spittal), Middleflat'. Address updated and listed building record revised 2009. Address and listed building record revised 2013. The interior and rear of the building were not considered to be of special interest at the time of the review of the listing in October 2013.
Other nearby listed buildings