History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mount Charles House, Mount Charles Crescent, Ayr

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.433 / 55°25'58"N

Longitude: -4.6453 / 4°38'43"W

OS Eastings: 232726

OS Northings: 618639

OS Grid: NS327186

Mapcode National: GBR 39.ZT6H

Mapcode Global: WH2PW.MP5V

Plus Code: 9C7QC9M3+6V

Entry Name: Mount Charles House, Mount Charles Crescent, Ayr

Listing Name: Mount Charles Crescent, Mount Charles

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357089

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21685

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Ayr

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in


Later 18th century; major frontage and wing reworking 1829. 2-storey, 5-bay villa with basement (exposed to sides and rear). Ashlar entrance elevation (rusticated at basement); rubble to original house; squared sandstone to 1829 wing. 1st floor cill course; eaves course; cornice; blocking course (entrance elevation); strip pilasters. Architraved windows at ground and 1st floor; cornices to ground floor windows (entrance elevation).

NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay with recessed 4-bay wing. Slightly advanced central bay; Ionic coupled-columned pedimented porch; 2-leaf glazed timber door; flanking pilasters; sidelights; fanlight; single window aligned above at 1st floor. Regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floors to remaining bays (timber doors at basement to bays to left). 4 bay recessed wing to left: timber door at basement to left; additional timber door to re-entrant angle; timber porch to right at ground; 2 single windows at ground floor to left of porch; 4 single windows at 1st floor (varying sizes, non-aligned).

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 single windows at basement, ground and 1st floors to bowed bay (square-headed entrance to central bay at basement). Single windows to all floors of bay to outer left. Venetian window at basement, modern window at ground and single window at 1st floor to bay to right of bow. 3 later bays to right slightly recessed; band course above ground floor openings. Near-central stepped platt oversailing basement; timber door; narrow letterbox fanlight; single openings flanking at basement, ground and 1st floors (non-aligned) (bipartite window at ground floor to left).

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 bays to re-entrant angle of 1829 frontage; timber porch to outer left; single window aligned above at 1st floor; single window to central bay; blind window aligned above at 1st floor; additional smaller window at ground floor between 2 bays described above. 3 bays to wing: square-headed central entrance; letterbox fanlight; flanking single windows at exposed basement (additional single window to left of entrance); regular fenestration at ground floor; 2 single windows at 1st floor.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartite and single window at basement to 1829 section; single window at ground floor; blind opening at 1st floor; glazed timber door to lean-to entrance porch to re-entrant angle porch; later square window insertion at 1st floor. 2 single windows at basement; 3 single windows at ground and 1st floor to earlier house (smaller central 1st floor window; blind 1st floor window to right); later central canted dormer.

Variety of glazing patterns including modern, plate glass, 4-pane and lying-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; apex stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

WALLED GARDEN: lies to SW of site. Coped rubble walled garden; open to S overlooking River Doon; slate-roofed lean-to equipment sheds.

Statement of Interest

NOTES: B-Group with 53 Greenfield Crescent, The Lodge, Mount Charles Walled Garden and 22 Mount Charles Crescent (see separate listings). Original house built for Charles Dalrymple of Orangefield; new frontage built for Lt Gen Hughes who purchased the estate in 1827. The house is now divided into flats. The development of the house is of interest in particular the second development of 1827 providing two large public rooms flanking the entrance hall and octagonal lobby leading into the existing structure.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.