This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4642 / 55°27'51"N
Longitude: -4.6326 / 4°37'57"W
OS Eastings: 233658
OS Northings: 622081
OS Grid: NS336220
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XXL9
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.TX5F
Plus Code: 9C7QF978+MX
Entry Name: Dunfermline Building Society, 34 New Bridge Street, Ayr
Listing Name: 34 New Bridge Street and 2, 2a Academy Street Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357106
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21700
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Thomas Hamilton, 1832. Pedimented 2-storey, 5-bay near square-plan Greek Revival former bank. Polished ashlar to SE elevation; channelled at ground floor; coursed sandstone to SW elevation. Base course; dividing band course; dentilled cornice; recessed pediment. Fluted Ionic colonnade dividing bays at 1st floor; double pilasters to outer bays rising through cornice to form corniced corner dies. Panelled aprons to 1st floor windows at SE elevation.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central square-headed moulded doorpiece; 2-leaf timber door within; flanking single windows. Regular fenestration at 1st floor. Lunette to pediment.
SW (ACADEMY STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. 2 entrances at ground to centre and right; timber door to centre, 2-leaf timber door to right; central single stair window with cill course; 3 single windows at 1st floor, outer bays blind.
12-pane timber sash and case windows at ground to SE elevation and to SW elevation; 6-pane to upper sashes, 3-pane to upper section of lower sashes to SE elevation. Grey slate roof; polygonal corniced wallhead stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: timber door surrounds; deep, stepped ceiling cornice to ground floor office. Decorative balusters and timber handrail to curved staircase in flatted accommodation.
BOUNDARY WALL: high coped rubble wall enclosing site to NW; square opening and square-headed entrance within.
Opened as the Ayrshire Bank, founded by Quintin Kennedy. By 1830, Hamilton was a favourably recognised architect in the area with his work including the Town Hall and the Burns Monument in Alloway (see separate list descriptions). In 1845, the bank was taken over by the Western Bank of Scotland.