This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4365 / 55°26'11"N
Longitude: -4.6285 / 4°37'42"W
OS Eastings: 233804
OS Northings: 618987
OS Grid: NS338189
Mapcode National: GBR 39.ZJWB
Mapcode Global: WH2PW.WM45
Plus Code: 9C7QC9PC+HJ
Entry Name: Walls And Gates, Garden, Rozelle House, Ayr
Listing Name: Monument Road (Off) , Rozelle Estate, Rozelle Including Lamp Standards
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357188
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21763
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1754; additions by David Bryce, 1830; stables converted by Cowie Torry & Partners, 1976. 2-storey and basement Palladian mansion; 5-bay corps-de-logis with basement quadrant links to 2-storey pavilions (E wing later extended as stable court). Painted harl. Band course dividing basement and ground floor; eaves course; cornice; raised quoins.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to central paired-pilastered entrance porch; 2-leaf glazed timber door; cornice; blocking course; single windows to returns at ground floor; additional basement window to return to right. Regular fenestration to remaining bays at basement, ground and 1st floors; corniced windows at ground floor. 3-bay quadrant link to right comprising central entrance and flanking windows (all blind). Blind return to left of 2-storey pavilion; central glazed timber door; single window aligned above; flanking single windows at both floor (bipartite to left at basement); single storey garage section to outer right. 4-bay quadrant link to left comprises regular sequence of entrances and windows (blind entrance to penultimate bay to left). Blind return to right of 2-storey stable pavilion; advanced near-central pedimented bay; segmental, key-stoned entrance arch; roundel to pediment; urn finial to pediment head; regular fenestration to 3 bays to right; regular fenestration to 2 bays to left. Single storey section to right comprises narrow slit window; timber door; 2 windows to penultimate bay to left and 2-leaf timber door to outer left. Section to left of main house obscured by foliage.
STABLE COURTYARD: round-arched entrances within entrance arch; 2-leaf glazed timber doors and fanlights. SE ELEVATION: 3 segmental-arched glazed openings; arched entrance to outer right; timber door and fanlight. NE ELEVATION: arched entrance to outer right, square-headed window over; 5 square-headed openings to left. NW ELEVATION: blind elevation (rear quadrant link); square-plan gatepiers and timber gate to left. SW ELEVATION: 2 single windows to gabled bay to right; single window to return to left; square-headed entrance to recessed section; single window to right return of gable to left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay (main house). Advanced pedimented bay to penultimate bay to right; 3 single windows at basement, tripartite window at ground floor, single window at 1st floor; blind return to left; single windows at ground and 1st floor to return to right. Single windows at basement, ground and 1st floor to bay to right (additional single inner window at 1st floor). 2-leaf glazed timber door to penultimate bay to left; single window to left; regular fenestration at ground and 1st floor to both bays. Single windows at basement, ground and 1st floors to gabled return to right; blind 2-storey wing; 3 narrow single windows (infilled) to single storey section to outer left; iron gate and timber entrances to centre; 3 narrow single windows (infilled) to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended and platformed slate roof; rooflights; stone skews; wallhead and pitch stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good interior detailing including fireplaces (iron, timber and composition and marble examples); cornices; decorative moulded iron balusters and timber handrails to staircases
LAMP STANDARDS: 19th century lamp standards flank steps to entrance.
B-Group with Rozelle Lodge (see separate listing). Named after Rochelle, the family estate in Jamaica, Rozelle was built for Robert Hamilton of Bourtreehill, and as noted by Davis its original form was of 5 bays, with a slightly advanced centre bay to rear. The remodelling of the main block, by David Bryce circa 1831, provided an asymmetrical pedimented addition to the rear and an entrance elevation porch. Bryce's additions are noted by Davis as "... done in a restrained, classical idiom which on does not usually associate with Bryce". The house and estate was gifted to the local authority by Lieutenant Commander John Hamilton RN on the 15th of November 1968 and the stables opened to the public as the Maclaurin Art Gallery in 1976.