This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.463 / 55°27'46"N
Longitude: -4.6348 / 4°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 233515
OS Northings: 621950
OS Grid: NS335219
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XX0N
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SY4C
Plus Code: 9C7QF978+53
Entry Name: Hall, Sandgate Church Of Scotland, 58A Sandgate, Ayr
Listing Name: 58a Sandgate, Former Sandgate Church and Church Hall, Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357219
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21794
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
William Gale, 1845; hall dated 1878. Rectangular-plan gabled aisled Norman church with clerestory. Polished ashlar. Base course; squared bracket cornice; angle buttresses; pyramid pinnacles.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to central arched entrance; decorative capitals to shafts; arcaded decorative corbelling to arch; ball-flower hoodmould; decorative label-stops; 2-leaf timber door; leaded fanlight; tall 3-light arched window aligned above; single shaft order; chevron moulding to arch soffits; ball-flower hoodmould; decorative label-stops; corbelled blind arcading aligned above, linked to ground by thin flanking moulding; roundel to gablehead; cuspwork and stained glass within. Single architraved round-arched windows to recessed bays to outer left and right.
NW (FORT STREET) ELEVATION, CHURCH HALL: 3-bay. Advanced lean-to entrance porch; gabletted at centre. Steps to round-arched entrance; flanking shafts; fretwork to arch soffit; square label-stops to hoodmould; 2-leaf timber door; leaded fanlight; single round-arched architraved windows flanking. 3–light window aligned above to main hall; ball-flower hoodmould; double ball-flower label-stop; roundel to truncated gable dated 1878; single round-arched architraved windows flanking.
Leaded and stained glass windows. Grey slate roof.
INTERIOR: architectural features remaining include timber panelled pulpit, screen walls and gallery; ball-flower detailing to fluted columns and corbelled wall-posts.
GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: iron gatepiers and 2-leaf central gate; gatepiers and single iron gates to outer left and right; iron railings surmount coped boundary wall enclosing site.
No longer in ecclesiastical use (formerly United Presbyterian). An early exponent of Norman Gothic Revival architecture, not dissimilar to David Cousin's St Thomas' Church in Rutland Place, Edinburgh (1842-3).