History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41, 43, 45, 47 High Street and Rear Garden Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Banff, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.664 / 57°39'50"N

Longitude: -2.5235 / 2°31'24"W

OS Eastings: 368865

OS Northings: 863907

OS Grid: NJ688639

Mapcode National: GBR N84G.LNX

Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6MLL

Entry Name: 41, 43, 45, 47 High Street and Rear Garden Walls

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357470

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22021

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Banff

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Banff

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Banff

Description

Dated 1787, restored 1975. 3-storey, wide 5-bay house with centre arched pend leading to U-plan rear. Harled, painted ashlar margins, ashlar margined corners.

Keystoned pend arch with blocked imposts; double leaf panelled door set back within pend leads to wide covered passage/hallway and inner court. Left of pend arch (No 41) early 20th century shopfront with basket-arched centre door and large flanking windows. At right (Nos 45A and 47) paired narrow doors, each flanked by single window.

Wide tripartites in outer bays of lst floor with single windows in

bays 2 and 4 and centre datestone. Small windows light 2nd floor, in centre round-headed, keystoned and with blocked imposts. Centre wallhead gable with margined apex stack. Plate glass glazing in shop windows, Nos 41 and 47; timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing with 8-pane side lights to tripartites, 6-pane in 2nd floor windows. Broad margined and corniced end and front apex stacks; flat

skews with moulded run-off skewputts; slate roof.

REAR: access to rear through pend; wide passage/hallway with simple plaster ceiling cornice and centre moulded plaster circle indicating site of former light. 2-storey modernised wings project each side of inner court.

REAR GARDEN WALLS: rear sloping garden enclosed by rubble walls.

Statement of Interest

Plaque above pend entrance inscribed: '1716. Rebuilt by the Incorporation of Shoemakers l787' Small lower plaque reads: 'Restored by the Banff Preservation Society 1975'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.