This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.664 / 57°39'50"N
Longitude: -2.5235 / 2°31'24"W
OS Eastings: 368865
OS Northings: 863907
OS Grid: NJ688639
Mapcode National: GBR N84G.LNX
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6MLL
Plus Code: 9C9VMF7G+HJ
Entry Name: 41, 43, 45, 47 High Street, Banff
Listing Name: 41, 43, 45, 47 High Street and Rear Garden Walls
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357470
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22021
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Dated 1787, restored 1975. 3-storey, wide 5-bay house with centre arched pend leading to U-plan rear. Harled, painted ashlar margins, ashlar margined corners.
Keystoned pend arch with blocked imposts; double leaf panelled door set back within pend leads to wide covered passage/hallway and inner court. Left of pend arch (No 41) early 20th century shopfront with basket-arched centre door and large flanking windows. At right (Nos 45A and 47) paired narrow doors, each flanked by single window.
Wide tripartites in outer bays of lst floor with single windows in
bays 2 and 4 and centre datestone. Small windows light 2nd floor, in centre round-headed, keystoned and with blocked imposts. Centre wallhead gable with margined apex stack. Plate glass glazing in shop windows, Nos 41 and 47; timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing with 8-pane side lights to tripartites, 6-pane in 2nd floor windows. Broad margined and corniced end and front apex stacks; flat
skews with moulded run-off skewputts; slate roof.
REAR: access to rear through pend; wide passage/hallway with simple plaster ceiling cornice and centre moulded plaster circle indicating site of former light. 2-storey modernised wings project each side of inner court.
REAR GARDEN WALLS: rear sloping garden enclosed by rubble walls.
Plaque above pend entrance inscribed: '1716. Rebuilt by the Incorporation of Shoemakers l787' Small lower plaque reads: 'Restored by the Banff Preservation Society 1975'.
Other nearby listed buildings