History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Collie Lodge, Collie Road, Banff, Duff House

A Category B Listed Building in Banff, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.6629 / 57°39'46"N

Longitude: -2.5224 / 2°31'20"W

OS Eastings: 368929

OS Northings: 863785

OS Grid: NJ689637

Mapcode National: GBR N84G.M62

Mapcode Global: WH8LW.7N3F

Plus Code: 9C9VMF7H+52

Entry Name: Collie Lodge, Collie Road, Banff, Duff House

Listing Name: Low Street, Collie Lodge with Lamp Standards

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357487

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22038

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Banff

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Banff

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in


Style of William Robertson, Elgin, 1836. Single storey 3-bay former gate lodge to Duff House. Tooled and polished ashlar sandstone. Pedimented tetrastyle fluted Greek doric portico; centre double-leaf panelled door with original decorative fanlight; flanking windows with later glazing. Set back return gables each with angle pilasters and centre window. Moulded eaves cornice above deep frieze and eaves course. Rear wallhead stack; shallow piended slate roof.

LAMP STANDARDS: pair freestanding squat ashlar cast-iron lamp standards on battered panelled ashlar plinths.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with Duff House, Fife Gates, Walled Garden, Collie Lodge, Mausoleum, Ice House, Bridge Gates House and the Eagles Gate Lodge.

Though documentary proof has not yet been established, Collie Lodge with flanking lamp standard, was certainly designed by William Robertson of Elgin, at the same time that he was designing Wilson's Academy (Banff Primary School), also fronted by similar stands. The lodge is similar to the Boat of Brig tollhouse (W Robertson, 1830) while the lamp standards are similar to those illustrated in Robertson's drawings for the Elgin Courthouse, 1837 (dem). The lodge once fronted Collie Street, now absorbed into St Mary's car park.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.