This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9019 / 55°54'6"N
Longitude: -3.642 / 3°38'31"W
OS Eastings: 297432
OS Northings: 668855
OS Grid: NS974688
Mapcode National: GBR 3006.UX
Mapcode Global: WH5RG.0XZF
Plus Code: 9C7RW925+P5
Entry Name: St David's Church And Hall, George Street, Bathgate
Listing Name: George Street, St David's Church (Church of Scotland) with Bell Tower, Church Halls and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 July 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357593
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22128
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Electoral Ward: Bathgate
Traditional County: West Lothian
J Graham Fairley, 1904. Early English church with campanile and en suite 2-storey church halls. Bull-faced, squared and snecked, red sandstone with ashlar dressing; base course; pointed arch openings; battered angle buttresses with gablet caps. Hoodmoulds with block label stops to principal elevations.
E (George Street) elevation: gabled elevation. Door in pointed arch panel at centre; chamfered reveals with nook-shaft capitals; panel head with dogtooth ornament and vesica; recessed porch with 2-leaf wrought-iron gates; lead-paned panels to 2-leaf inner doors. Narrow window with blinded head flanking each side. Stepped 4-light window above with chamfered reveals. String course below gablehead, framed,
louvred vesica and stone cross finial. Tower to left linked by low 2-storey narrow bay.
Tower: north Italian campanile style. Square section tower with deep
battered base course, angle pilasters and ashlar strips; narrow louvred vents and small paired stair windows to street; 4-light pointed arch arcade to each face of bell chamber; Italianate shaped angle dies to parapet with shaped centre panel; towerhead recessed 3-light arcades
and corner dies breaking eaves of piended roof capped by ogival,
polygonal cap with cockerel weathervane finial.
Nave: bipartite windows to clerestorey and to ground to S.
Square-pane leaded windows with coloured border glazing (stained glass,
see interior). Grey slate roof.
Interior: chimneypiece in vestibule. 6-bay nave, arcaded with pointed arches with chamfered arrises clerestorey cill course jumping capitalled nook shafts as annulets; gallery to S aisle. Gothic
detailed red sandstone ashlar communion table with carved panel, en
suite with blind arcaded, octagonal pulpit and octagonal font on shaft with contrasting colonnettes. Open timber roof with corbels rising from nook shafts. Stained glass by William Wilson, 1954 in chancel window, SS Columba, Andrew and Ninian, with panels showing local industries.
Church halls: 2-storey, T-plan, advanced to E, at N of church. Gabled
block at right angles with 3-bay elevation to street comprised of deeply chamfered door at centre, square-headed bipartites flanking at ground, pointed arch bipartite at centre at 1st floor and single pointed arch windows flanking. Corner pilasters breaking eaves as angle parapets. S gable with 2 square-headed windows at ground and stepped 3-light window in pointed arch panel above; ventilation slit at
apex. Further hall extending behind with rooflights.
Interior: Upper hall to rear with decorative open timber roof, canted
timber gallery and oculus, columned arcade. Boarded and coombed roof to upper hall to front block.
Boundary walls: to E, bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone with
gablet coping, swept up to square piers at intervals and to main and side gates, piers with swept, stylised, or shallow dome caps; walls canted in to main entrance. Wrought-iron gates.
J Graham Fairley contributed many significant and singular buildings to the landscape of the Lothians; see also church at Blackridge, Broxburn and Uphall and the Linlithgow Academy.
Other nearby listed buildings