This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9215 / 55°55'17"N
Longitude: -4.3328 / 4°19'58"W
OS Eastings: 254320
OS Northings: 672280
OS Grid: NS543722
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.ZYC9
Mapcode Global: WH3NV.DFZC
Plus Code: 9C7QWMC8+HV
Entry Name: New Kilpatrick Parish Church, Kirk Road, Bearsden
Listing Name: New Kilpatrick Parish Church, Bearsden
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357595
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22130
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bearsden North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Built 1807, and thrice enlarged in following 20 years. Large crowstepped structure, roughly cruciform on plan, interior galleries on 3 sides. Churchyard contains interesting monuments including mausoleum of Campbells of Succoth.
INTERIOR: includes wealth of stained glass; Stephen Adam and Alf Webster, Henderson Memorial window, circa 1912; Daniel Cottier (with McCulloch and Gow) Good Samaritan Window, 1884; J T and C E Stewart, Crossing the Bar window; 2 windows, Robert Anning Bell (Guthrie and Wells); Norman MacLeod MacDougall, lancet window; 3 windows by Douglas Strachan; more modern windows by Gordon Webster and Eildith Keith.
New Kilpatrick Cemetery is situated to the east of church and churchyard described here, at some distance, and contains fragments of the Antonine Wall. The stained glass windows are of exceptional importance, covering over a century of Scottish design in this field, and account for the Cat A listing. They are seen by experts to be comparable to those at St John's Kirk, Perth, and Trinity Parish Church, St Andrews. The collection maps the development of the Stephen Adam/Alf Webster partnership. It includes the earliest known ecclesiastical window by McCulloch & Gow for Daniel Cottier, significant work by J T and C E Stewart, and work by Robert Anning Bell, Norman MacLeod MacDougall, Gordon Webster, Eildith Keith and Douglas Strachan. The 3-light window by C E Stewart of Tennyson's Crossing the Bar is a later re-use of a destroyed design by J T Stewart at Leslie Church Pollokshields, circa 1904, and is executed in Stewart's particular hydrofloric acid technique.
Upgraded B to A July 2001.
Other nearby listed buildings