History in Structure

Wall, Scotland's Close, Bo'Ness

A Category A Listed Building in Bo'Ness, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0181 / 56°1'5"N

Longitude: -3.6084 / 3°36'30"W

OS Eastings: 299831

OS Northings: 681742

OS Grid: NS998817

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ5K

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.JZXV

Plus Code: 9C8R299R+6J

Entry Name: Wall, Scotland's Close, Bo'Ness

Listing Name: 49 North Street, Dymock's Buildings with Scotland's Close Warehouse and Service Court

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357936

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22379

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200357936

Location: Bo'Ness

County: Falkirk

Town: Bo'Ness

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Bo ľness


Late 17th to early 18th century, with later alterations and possibly incorporating earlier fabric, complete excavation and rebuild 2003-4 The Pollock Hammond Partnership. 2-storey and attic, 7-bay, long domestic range and courtyard, converted to 8 flatted dwellings. Lime harl. Ironwork by Ratho Byres Forge, 2004.

E (NORTH STREET) ELEVATION: bays grouped 6-1 with courtyard wall to outer right chamfered at ground. Ground floor of 6 bays to left with window in penultimate bay to left and blocked door to outer left; centre bays with door to right and window to left, and 2 further windows to right; blocked opening in penultimate bay to left at 1st floor, remaining bays regularly-fenestrated; 3 slate-hung, piended dormer windows above. Projecting bay to right with window to each floor, similar dormer, and tiny window to ground on return to left. Blocked opening with large long and short work quoins to courtyard wall.

W (SCOTLAND'S CLOSE) ELEVATION: tall crowstepped bay to centre with 3 windows to each floor and single window to centre at attic; lower bays to right with broad blocked doorway to centre at ground, flanking windows and 2 windows to 1st floor; further lower bays to left of centre with door to left, door to centre and window to right (both blocked); blank wall of courtyard to outer left.

N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: segmentally-arched carriage entrance to centre with moulded keystone bearing date of '1717' and 'RG IO', and 2-leaf ironwork gate, further pedestrian gate to left and single window to right. Set-back face of main building with 2 windows to attic of crowstepped gable at left; tripartite attic window to further gable at right, this and centre link section both lead fronted.

COURTYARD: single storey, timber-fronted ranges to E and W flanking base of circular cast-iron pan and paved surfaces of re-used stone (see Notes).

S ELEVATION: adjoining 37-43 North Street.

Small-pane glazing patterns in replacement timber sash and case windows. Pantiles. Harled stacks with circular clay cans. Ashlar-coped courtyard wall retaining some original coping. Decorative cast-iron hopper to N.

INTERIOR: high quality 18th century interior work reinstated, including fielded panelling, moulded cornice, decorative cast-iron fireplace, and keystoned, shell niche in original red to 1st floor saloon/public room.

Statement of Interest

The survival of the warehouse and service court adjoining a merchant's house in this way, close by the harbour, is exceptional: this, together with the fine interior details of the domestic range, sees the property meriting inclusion at Category A. The court walls were previously listed separately under Scotland's Close. After many years lying derelict, Dymock's Buildings have undergone excavation and reconstruction by the National Trust for Scotland's Little Houses Improvement Scheme to form eight new affordable rented homes. Possibly built in 1650 by William Thomson. The north wall arch with keystone marked 'RG 1717 IO' has been reinstated, the initials being those of merchant Robert Gregorie and his wife Janet Osburn who took over the property in 1714. Excavations have unearthed an area of individually worked stone slabs probably from the late 19th century; hand carved stone steps and a structure with curved outer walls and apparently three flues, possibly some sort of kiln. The stones together with an ironwork pan have been reinstated within the courtyard area. The kiln find suggests a date prior to 1650 as it was located below the walls of the merchant's house. '45 North Street' and 'Wall at North East End of Scotland's Close' were previously listed separately, but are now incorporated into this listing. Up-graded category C(S) to A 15.04.98.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.