History in Structure

Geddes School, Parley Hill, Culross

A Category C Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0584 / 56°3'30"N

Longitude: -3.6261 / 3°37'33"W

OS Eastings: 298838

OS Northings: 686255

OS Grid: NS988862

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.Q7BG

Mapcode Global: WH5QP.8ZKF

Plus Code: 9C8R395F+9H

Entry Name: Geddes School, Parley Hill, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, Geddes House Including Garden Walls

Listing Date: 19 July 1973

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359811

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23968

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359811

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: School building

Find accommodation in


Circa 1800. 2-storey, 3-bay L-plan former school (now converted to flats). Tooled sandstone rubble. Droved ashlar margins; droved quoins. Eaves course.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Central 2-leaf door; narrow fanlight above; flanking bipartite windows. 1st floor window centred above door; flanking bipartite windows. 1st floor windows hug eaves. Inscribed stone tablet above door erected in remembrance of Patrick Geddes in 1824 by his trustees.

W ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

N ELEVATION: forestair blocks ground floor opening to right. Stone steps; barley sugar iron balusters. Door to right and window to left under forestair. Rear elevation of E wing advanced to left; door to far left; 2 windows to right of door; central blocked door/window. 2 1st floor windows. 1st floor door to right in right return.

E ELEVATION: plain E gable wall. Modern window to left in rear wing.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement timber doors. Pitched roofs; slate. Raised smooth skews. Coped gable apex stacks to house and rear wing.

INTERIOR: not seen. Access to upper flat gained by rear forestair.


Sandstone wall; curved coping stones extends from E to rear and front forming boundary with adjacent Culross Abbey Church graveyard. Terminating in pier with bell-shaped coping stone. Low stone wall; chamfered coping stones to front; central opening. Doorway with stone lintel extends westwards from SW quoin. Garden walls to rear; stone steps lead up to garden.

Statement of Interest

A former school. The windows have been enlarged. The inscription on the plaque which was inserted in 1824 reads; 'Patrick Geddes Esquire having at his own expense built and endowed this school his trustees as a token of their respect for his memory; and to preserve upon the minds of the youth taught here, the grateful remembrance of their kind benefactor have erected this tablet 1824'. The school became too small and was replaced by a new school built to the east of the United Free Church (now Cunninghame House) in 1859 by Miss Janet Davidson. This later school has also since been replaced and knocked down.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.