History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Hill (Academy) Original Primary School Building

A Category B Listed Building in Cupar, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3201 / 56°19'12"N

Longitude: -3.0102 / 3°0'36"W

OS Eastings: 337612

OS Northings: 714650

OS Grid: NO376146

Mapcode National: GBR 2H.5TXF

Mapcode Global: WH7S2.QDRR

Entry Name: Castle Hill (Academy) Original Primary School Building

Listing Date: 1 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 360177

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24287

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cupar

County: Fife

Town: Cupar

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cupar

Description

1806. 2-storey 5-window droved ashlar with quoin angles, pedimented centre bay with tripartites; coats of arms from old Toolbooth set into walls; slated piended roof.

Statement of Interest

The plan was "produced" by Deacon Ferrie–Charles Stewart contracted for the Wright work and John Davidson for the mason work. The upper floor was decided on during construction. (7 August 1806). No architect is mentioned; Thomas Smith was inspector and Thomas Lees measurer. Stewart's account was still not settled 13 January 1813 when Robert Hutchison "mason' was asked to report on it. The old English School of 1727 stood at the NW corner of the site.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.