This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6093 / 57°36'33"N
Longitude: -4.4332 / 4°25'59"W
OS Eastings: 254724
OS Northings: 860311
OS Grid: NH547603
Mapcode National: GBR H8FM.21G
Mapcode Global: WH3DG.WZ3Z
Entry Name: Tulloch Castle and Arched Tunnel Entrance
Listing Date: 25 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 360491
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24518
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dingwall and Seaforth
Traditional County: Ross-shire
16th century square tower with later alterations and extensions
varying from 17th to early 20th century to north and east.
Extensions, restoration and improvements, A Maitland and Sons,
1891; further alterations, Sir Robert Lorimer, 1920-22.
Harled tower, rubble eslewhere, ashlar dressings throughout.
Tower at SW with heavy boulder footings, chamfered SW angle to
1st floor, gun loops, later Venetian window in 1st floor,
west elevation. 2 enlarged and symmetrical windows each floor
in south tower elevation; original small windows in drum stair
tower at NW; later corbelled and crenellated parapets to tower
and stair tower. 1891 3-storey, 3-bay wing extends east flush
with tower (with earlier extension forming core) with large
2-storey canted bay window; raised from 2 to 3 storeys by Sir
Robert Lorimer, the 3 upper windows rising through wallhead in
ornately carved pedimented gables, the centre dated 1920;
similarly carved head in east crowstepped gable-head. Wing
extends 3 storeys, 5 bays at east elevation with 5 pedimented
gabled dormers rising through wallhead similarly detailed as
in south front. Venetian window in SE gable. Square projecting
heavy corbelled and parapetted porch masking corniced and
moulded lugged architraved doorpiece with heavily panelled
and studded Lorimer door. Large round headed, hoodmoulded and crenellated archway leads to service wings at rear. Multi and
2-pane glazing; corniced ridge and end stacks; crowsteps; slate
Interior: vaulted basement; remodelled 1st floor hall with
original great fireplace; ornamental plaster ceiling (1920-22).
Later 19th century pine panelling and wide balustraded stair
case. Arched tunnel entrance; segmental headed tunnel entrance
carrying path linking east and west parts of garden.
Tulloch was a barony of the Bains until 1760, when it passed
to the Davidsons. Now used by Highland Region Education
Other nearby listed buildings