History in Structure

Swing Bridge, Victoria Dock, Dundee Harbour

A Category A Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4627 / 56°27'45"N

Longitude: -2.9555 / 2°57'19"W

OS Eastings: 341216

OS Northings: 730472

OS Grid: NO412304

Mapcode National: GBR ZCK.LJ

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.KTTH

Plus Code: 9C8VF27V+3Q

Entry Name: Swing Bridge, Victoria Dock, Dundee Harbour

Listing Name: Victoria Dock with Pedestrian and Vehicular Swing Bridges

Listing Date: 2 February 1989

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361089

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24971

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361089

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Bridge

Find accommodation in


Begun 1833 by James Leslie to Thomas Telford's projections. Completed 1869-75 by David Cunningham, with Charles Ower 'consulted on all questions of importance'. Nearly rectangular wet dock of 10.7 acres with a quayage of 3,860 feet, depth 16 feet, entrance width 54 feet. Kingoodie ashlar.

W wall compleed 1833-6, S wall formed 1837, altered at E end 1869-75 for graving dock. N and W walls later, and with slightly larger ashlar blocks. Capstans and other dockside furniture.

SWING BRIDGES: at entrance between Camperdown and Victoria Docks.

PEDESTRIAN: segmental arched 2-leaf plate iron swing bridge. Each leaf pierced by 9 portholes, diminishing in size towards the centre. Arms of the Dundee Harbour Board at fulcrum point. Tubular iron handrail, timber deck. Counter weight with sockets for levering the bridge.

VEHICULAR: level single-leaf wrought-iron bridge, probably hydraulically operated. Tubular iron handrail; flat timber deck.

Statement of Interest

After James Watt Dock, Greenock, and Leith Docks, Edinburgh, now the largest enclosed dock in Scotland. It remained unfinished during the town's depression and bankruptcy. By 1848 an eastern tidal harbour had been built and rough protection walls placed around Victoria Dock, which was then a shallow basin. In 1869 an Act was passed to construct a tidal basin and entrance to Camperdown Dock, construct a graving dock betweeen Camperdown and Victoria Docks, and deepen and complete Victoria Dock. The dock opened on 16 August 1875. Still used, primarily for ship repairs and laying-up, official visits, and for historic ships.

The 90-ton steam crane was scrapped in 1976. Its base is still identifiable on the S side of the dock.

The swing bridges are discussed and fixed in the open position.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.