History in Structure

63-73 King Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4654 / 56°27'55"N

Longitude: -2.9643 / 2°57'51"W

OS Eastings: 340680

OS Northings: 730777

OS Grid: NO406307

Mapcode National: GBR ZBL.5K

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.FRNF

Plus Code: 9C8VF28P+57

Entry Name: 63-73 King Street, Dundee

Listing Name: 63-73 (Odd Nos) King Street

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361160

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25022

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361160

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Flax mill

Find accommodation in


Circa 1830-40, iron-framed flax mill, later a warehouse,
converted to offices for Low and Bonar by R Gibson in
circa 1913.
Elevation to King Street remodelled circa 1913 2-storey
14-bay commercial block of snecked rubble with ashlar
dressings. 3 arched entrances at centre and end bays of
ground floor. 2 are loading bays and W bay forms entrance
to office with original door below leaded Diocletian
window. Bipartite, tripartite over entrances, sash and
case windows with corbelled cills and leaded upper panes
at 1st floor. Cornice and parapet with central Art Nouveau
curvilinear pediment over attic Diocletian window. Rear
elevation, excluding W wing, is substantially 1830s rubble.
4 storeys (2 below road level forming part of East Port
Works) with projecting circular stair having conical slate
roof. Top floor window altered to bipartite. Attic dormer
hoist, other dormers modern. Slate roof.
Interior: Ground floor from King Street 1830s 2 rows of
cast-iron columns carry brick arches, cast-iron beams and
wrought-iron ties. Some partitions. 1st floor remodelled
as offices with 2 rows of Doric cast-iron columns. Fine
panelled marble stair, with lift in well, stained glass
window and Ionic pilastered entrances. Attic altered.

Statement of Interest

1850 plan shows "Fireproof Flax Mill, now a Warehouse", so

the building can have served as a mill for only a few years,

perhaps put up by William Shaw of the East Port Calender

during the 1830s boom.

When the East Port Calender was acquired by Low and Bonar

in 1907, the warehouse was converted to the head office

of the major textile manufacturers and exporters. See 100

Cowgate, East Port Works, for basement.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.