This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4856 / 56°29'8"N
Longitude: -2.9581 / 2°57'29"W
OS Eastings: 341092
OS Northings: 733018
OS Grid: NO410330
Mapcode National: GBR ZC5.Y1
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.J7LX
Plus Code: 9C8VF2PR+6P
Entry Name: Mains Castle, Caird Park, Dundee
Listing Name: Caird Park Mains Castle
Listing Date: 12 July 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361207
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25066
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Strathmartine
Traditional County: Angus
Fortified house begun as a hunting lodge circa 1460. Largely constructed 1562, dominated by tall tower, top stage rebuilt 1630. E wing remodelled early 18th century. Restored from dereliction early-mid 1980s. Rubble-built, probably once harled. MAIN HALL, with cellars below, bedchambers and, formerly a servants' attic above. N elevation: blocked door and 3 gunloops at basement. 2 blocked roll-moulded windows to hall. 2 gabletted bedchamber windows piercing eaves (a conjectural restoration). Crow-stepped gables with gable end stacks. Windows asymmetrically placed to W gable. Modern lean-to rubble-built addition to house fire escape at E gable. Elevation to yard: 2 large and 1 small window at hall level. Cellar door probably formed 1630. 2 wallhead dormers, originally transomed, and rebuilt crowstepped gable adjoining newel stair of tower.
Square-section 70 foot TOWER at SW angle of hall. Roll-moulded door to renewed spiral stair with barrel vault at 2nd, whence newel stair corbels out at NE angle of tower. 5th stage rebuilt 1630 above corbel table. Gable and flat finial or stack to each face. Iron ties.
W WALL incorporated at N the gable of the first house, with blocked openings. Parapet corbelled out, crenellation now missing. Curved NW angle corbelled out to bartizan. Corbels of similar bartizan over arched roll-moulded entrance, formerly dated 1562. SE angle rebuilt to carry taller building, since demolished. 2 windows and part of a 3rd survive. Lean to buildings between wall and tower demolished.
E, KITCHEN, RANGE. E elevation 16th century, 1st floor centre and left roll-moulded windows are original, that to right a partial restoration. Door to left. Courtyard elevation rebuilt early 18th century, 4-window frontage. Stair door to right with inscription over dated 1582 and renaissance-detailed carved panel. Piended S end to roof. Ridge stack.
S wing largely demolished, inner courtyard wall survives at ground level only, with doorway and blocked window. Roofs reslated. Modern windows, small-paned sash and case.
Originally Fintry Castle, seat of the Grahams of Fintry, abandoned in favour of Linlathen House in the mid 18th century, acquired by Dundee Town Council 1913 with a gift from Sir James K Caird. Was uninhabited from circa 1950 to 1980 and fell into ruin. Restored by Dundee District Council with MSC labour in early 1980s. Now a restaurant with a residential wing. Tower unusually tall, to survey the neighbourhood from its low-lying position.
Other nearby listed buildings