History in Structure

10 Constitution Road, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4623 / 56°27'44"N

Longitude: -2.9749 / 2°58'29"W

OS Eastings: 340021

OS Northings: 730444

OS Grid: NO400304

Mapcode National: GBR Z9D.FQ

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.8TMS

Plus Code: 9C8VF26G+W2

Entry Name: 10 Constitution Road, Dundee

Listing Name: 10, 12 Constitution Road, Including Gatepiers and Railings

Listing Date: 30 March 1994

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361270

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25110

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361270

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Institute building

Find accommodation in


1838; extended 1872; modern additions to side and rear. 2-storey, basement and attic, 5-bay, classically-detailed, former educational building. Cream sandstone ashlar facade, channelled to ground floor, rubble to sides and rear, slate roof. Front elevation: cill band to 1st floor, coped parapet with dentilled cornice; tall architraved windows to 1st floor, round-headed at recessed centre bay, modern out-of-character glazing; Mansard roof, round-headed bipartite dormer to centre with angle acroteria and square-domed roof with capped apex, pedimented dormers to flattened pyramidal-roofed pavilions at left and right and at returns.

FRONT ELEVATION: door to centre with fanlight approached by steps over basement, pilastered doorpiece with parapet detail, 2 windows to left and right, 3 round-headed windows recessed at 1st floor, window to left and right, 3 dormers detailed as above.

SIDE ELEVATIONS: various windows to left, mostly masked; additions to right.

REAR ELEVATION: various additions.

INTERIOR: not seen.

GATEPIERS AND GATES: 2 mannered octagonal gatepiers, cast-iron railings enclosing basement area.

Statement of Interest

This building was originally the Watt Institution, opened (according to MacLaren/Thomson) in 1840, and converted to the YMCA in 1872; currently (1994) in commercial use.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.